All reviews hotel reception original character lovely old hotel dated bathroom railway station electric blankets small fridge three night stay single bed cadbury factory central location beds were very comfortable nice stay business trip centre of town easy walking distance the ground floor
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Enjoyed our stay here before family members flew back to the North island, rooms were lovely and warm and extra heaters are provided if the weather really gets cold, Electric Blankets on the bed. Lovely décor.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I don't know. I've mixed feelings about the place. I feel like I stepped into an episode of Hotel Hell. I first walked in after a couple of failed attempts to find the entrance. The reception was located in a very awkward place. The staff were very friendly. Then I gotta walk through a maze to find the elevator. Go up to my floor and navigate another mini maze to find my room. For 80 a night, I expect a few more things honestly. The only thing I loved about the room was the bed. Electric blankets and comfy beds. The bathroom was old and disgusting. Heater rarely emits heat. The hotel looks like it's stuck in the 90s. Most of the customers are old. The thing is, if this hotel goes to the right management, with major renovations, it could be one of the best hotels in town.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

We paid a premium price for our stay and were totally ripped off. The room was tiny, damp and cold even with two heaters going. Really noisy and virtually no parking available- avoid at all costs. This is the scenic view from our room

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kiwicazza
Reviewed 11 May 2018

It is a pub, let's be clear. There is a blackboard specials board. The menu is not huge but there are starters, mains and desserts. I had ham steak and it covered HALF the big plate. You could have salad and fries (that's what I had) or vegetables. My partner had roast beef with vegetables. There was a lot of thickly cut meat, gravy and horseradish and served with vegetables. Holy moly the vegetables they served were amazing. Roast potato, mashed potato, carrots, peas, pumpkin and cauliflower with cheese sauce. This is a hotel with rooms upstairs - it seems a lot of truckies stay there but there are also a lot of older people eating there. Is it trendy? NOPE. Is the food delicious? YES. My food plus a PINT of diet coke was the same as the roast with the same drink...$22. Could also have had fish and chips (cooked several ways), steak, burger, schnitzel, chicken cordon bleu and so much more. No room for dessert...but wish I did have. The staff are lovely. Yes it is a pubby place but the food will blow you away.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2018

I booked a single room for a stay over whilst at Uni. It was very inexpensive (about $81 for the night) and I got what I paid for. The room was warm once a broken heater was replaced and the bed comfortable and plenty of hot water. Staff friendly and the room was quiet.

Date of stay: April 2018