“Bottom Bus Tour - great small bus tour”
Review of Headfirst Travel

Headfirst Travel
More attraction details
Owner description: Here at Headfirst Travel Dunedin we bring alive local legends with a range of guided tours that include most of Dunedin’s main attractions. Join us on our guided tour up to the grand Larnach's Castle, which also includes a city sights tour. You can also add in a tour at the sweet Cadbury World and an exciting tour of the Speight's Brewery. Or take a ride on the spectacular Taieri Gorge Railway or in a Silver Fern Railcar. Explore the Elm wildlife or take a tour of the historic Olveston House. See our many cruise ship excursions or hop onto our Bottom Bus and explore NZ’s deepest south. We have something for everyone!
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Bottom Bus Tour - great small bus tour”
Reviewed 2 August 2016

My parents and I did this tour and we loved the small bus experience from Dunedin to when we met the Kiwi Experience Milford Explorer which was a large bus filled with college age kids. The trip to Milford sound was great but the bus experience was not as pleasant for my parents. That portion was definitely geared to a younger crowd with the music and movies that were shown. I didn't enjoy it as much simply because I do not like being on large bus tours. If it had all been small bus, I'd give the entire trip a 5.
Back to the smaller bus portion - this was just great. The stops were great. My dad took on all the mini-hikes while my mom found some of them to be a bit much (but she is not much of a walker). But she had a good time as well. The bus offers flexibility to allow you to pause your tour and stay along the stops on the way and pick you up in a day or two based upon your preference which was a great option. I'd definitely travel with them again.

Visited November 2015
Headfirsttravel, Public Relations Manager at Headfirst Travel, responded to this review, 12 August 2016
Kia Ora;

Mary

thank you so much for your feedback; so glad to hear that Bottom Bus delivered a personalized, enjoyable trip;

cheers
HeadFirst Team

“HeadFirst Travel- BottomBus, Deep South Tour”
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

An epic way to see the Deep South of New Zealand without having the fuss and hassle of trying to figure it all out yourself! The bus went from Queenstown to Dunedin on the first day, then Invercargill on the second day, with lots and lots of stops through the Catlins (a beautiful, picturesque coastal route), and ending on the third day with a trip to Milford Sound for a boat tour and then on the same day you return to Queenstown. I, however, took a bit longer on this tour as I stopped in Invercargill to catch the ferry to Stewart Island. I highly recommend going to Stewart Island. It is a beautiful little island with hikes all around it and starry, starry nights. I also saw the Southern Lights and a KIWI BIRD! Headfirst Travels really packs it into this tour, so by the end you are exhausted due to the amount of things you have done and seen. I highly recommend traveling with Headfirst. They made my trip through the Deep South entertaining and effortless. Thanks for an awesome journey!

Visited June 2016
Headfirsttravel, Public Relations Manager at Headfirst Travel, responded to this review, 30 July 2016
Dear Alison;

thank you for the fantastic review; Our Bottom Bus tour is fantastic and we are glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed it.

We hope to see you again;

kind regards
HeadFirst Travel
3 attraction reviews
“Lanarch castle and ovalstine house.”
Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

Nice friendly guide, went out of his way to tweak the city sights tour to me, I was only one booked...seemed weird on a 25 seater bus!
Very informative at the castle and around the area, very impressive memory for Dunedin in the early days.
Unfortunately I felt a bit rushed at the castle, 20 min to see gardens and stables plus anything else I wanted to re look at was not good. The driver did reduce the time for city sights to give me this time though.
Definitely worth doing, gave me a great start on history to relay to family when we next visit.

Kia Ora;

thank you for the detailed review, we love to hear that our drivers are bringing local legends alive. We appreciate your feedback about timings and this will be looked into!

thanks again

Headfirst Travel
“So much fun!”
Reviewed 27 July 2016

What a wonderful experience to say the least! Me and my friend went on the Larnach Castle and Elm Wildlife combo tour and it was such a great way of seeing all of the beauty Dunedin has to offer. We got picked up outside the I-site which is located in the heart of the city so was lovely to just sit and admire the town. We had a small group of 4 heading to the castle, our driver was very mindful of us all, assuring we could hear her and got to know a bit about us before she began. We were well informed of the history of Larnach and how the castle came to be. The castle itself was very cool, original furnishings made it very real and you were able to roam freely and get a true feel for life back then. The tower view was breathtaking. I wish it was summer so the garden was in full bloom, but that just means we have to return :) We had many opportunities to stop off and take photos along the peninsula of the incredible scenery. Following the Castle tour we saw the city sites, hiked up Baldwin St, and got taken to the Larnach tomb which was an interesting addition. Our tour guide even asked us if their was anywhere specific we had heard of and wanted to go and see. We then had to switch buses which was fine as we had a break to get some lunch, the driver kindly recommended some options of where to go. Once on the Elm tour we headed up to the Albatross center. The drive was relaxing yet informative. We saw Albatross flying, Fur seals, Sea Lions and Yellow eyed penguins! All of these wild, some endangered animals, only meters away! The beaches are beautiful and secluded, only accessible through the tour which made it that much more special knowing you cannot see or do this any other way. Understanding the efforts these environmental groups go to just to protect other life is admirable and knowing that actually being apart of the tour is helping develop and strengthen this makes it worth every penny. It is on the edge of the peninsula so was very windy, even though the kind tour guide offered me a windbreaker of their own make sure you wrap up warm, and have some good footwear too! We came away from this tour with much more knowledge and understanding of Dunedin and the special treasures it holds within the City - New Zealand's only castle and endangered wildlife are just 2 of the many! I have photos I could've never captured if I had not gone on this tour and I thank all of the drivers and tour guides for being so positive and making this experience so amazing. I highly recommend the combo tours, it is a long day but they are fairly priced and leave you feeling so accomplished with many memories made. Thanks again Headfirst Travel! :)

Visited July 2016
Headfirsttravel, Lead Reservations at Headfirst Travel, responded to this review, 29 July 2016
Kia Ora1

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our Larnach Castle and Elm Wildlife tour!

The Otago Peninsula really is a world apart from anything else you get to see in New Zealand.

We hope to see you again sometime. Maybe during the Spring/Summer months of September through February to view Larnach Castles Garden in Bloom!

Thank you for the team at Headfirst Travel!
Auckland, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Storytelling at its best”
Reviewed 2 July 2016

Booked a combo tour of the "castle" + Cadbury. Driver/guide Dick took us to other sights before the castle, but along way kept the group entertained with the city's history as well as the melodramatic lives of the people living in the "castle." Though the building is not really a fortified residence of the nobility, the gardens are still magnificent even in mid-winter -- which redeemed our frustration of not being able to see the castle, as advertised!

Visited July 2016
Headfirsttravel, Public Relations Manager at Headfirst Travel, responded to this review, 22 July 2016
Kia Ora,

thank you so much for your glowing review of our Larnachs Castle trip;
Fantastic to hear of Dick's entertaining and informative tour of Dunedin. In regards to Laranchs Castle, it is technically New Zealand's only Castle but was Mr William Laranchs Holiday home, built in the form of a Castle. The experience itself is more to have insight into the history of colonization in Otago.

Kind regards