Review Highlights
Excellent Back Country Fly Fishing

We had a blast fishing with Casey on the South Island. We took a helicopter out of Haast into the... read more

Reviewed 13 January 2019

from US$139.77
from US$85.69
from US$122.91
More Info
All reviews dry fly fly fishing brown trout great company mataura river fishing guide south island experienced angler his knowledge new zealand an excellent guide a lot of fun great trip casey casting beginners teacher
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Fishing with Casey was a pleasure. His attention to detail, knowledge of the area and specfic streams and rivers, extensive fly and rod collection were all part of a trip that was beyond my expectations. From the pickup at my hotel in Dunedin on the first day to the drop off after the second day the trip was throughly enjoyable, which included 2 browns 25 and 23 inches. This was my second go with Casey 2013 and 2018 and certainly not my last. My only regret, if this is one, is not getting a picture of Casey and myself before I left. I'll get one next time Mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Mike
Eugene, Oregon
USA

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 9 April 2018

Casey took my hubby and son for their first fly fishing experience, and I am so glad to see they have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Thanks for knowing all the best places to visit, and being patient with their beginner status.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 17 February 2018

Casey was great and very fun to fish with. He knows his craft and how to fish. I highly recommend him to anyone thinking of a fishing trip to the south Island.

Date of experience: February 2018
CaseyCravens, Owner at Wild Angler - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Thanks heaps, Steve.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

I've used guides in many different countries and Casey stands out for his knowledge of the local area, his passion for the fishery and it's future and how hard he works to put you onto good fishing and make the day enjoyable.
Thanks for a great day Casey and see you next time were back in NZ.
Lachlan and Tom

Date of experience: January 2018
CaseyCravens, Owner at Wild Angler - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Thanks, Lachlan, for the positive comments and our time on the water. Every year I take out a bunch of people, almost of them good folks, but a handful of clients really stand out as people I connect with and look forward to seeing again. You and Tom fall into that category. Keen, positive, and on the same wavelength. I look forward to seeing you guys again, hopefully soon. Cheers,

Reviewed 10 February 2018

Spent a day with Casey on the 20/1/18, this was a time when all reports said conditions were tough with the current drought causing warmer than average water temperatures and very low water levels. Having had a tough time of it on our own the day prior, myself and a mate Lachlan were picked up by Casey for an early start out of Lumsden. The drive to the first spot was a good one with Casey's knowledge and passion for the fishery becoming very evident during conversation. He outlined the rough plan for the day and had clearly put in some work in the days prior resulting in us getting into some fantastic dry fly fishing at various spots during the day.
Possibly the best part of our day was just having a great bloke to fish with us. Even if the fishing had been horrible neither Lachlan or I would have complained. His experience showed regularly picking the exact fly we needed and giving us the chance to use some of his own flies which were dynamite!
Casey was also able to show us some excellent locations and provide us with great information that set us up for the rest of our week in NZ.
Thanks Casey for all your hard work, we will be using you again in the future!!
Cheers, Tom and Lachlan

Date of experience: January 2018
3  Thank bailey872018
CaseyCravens, Owner at Wild Angler - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Thanks for the kind words, Tom and Lachlan. You guys were a lot of fun. You're both talented anglers, positive, keen as mustard and good casters. In short, the kind of clients that make the guide's day a little easier. It was great we managed to find rising fish during a hot period when most hatches were occuring in the middle of the night, if at all.

I've got a photo I'll be posing of that brown Lachlan managed to present to from the island that required a chest-deep wade. Clearly the fish wasn't expecting an approach from that angle.

And I still remember that last tough cast at the end of the day, with the dry right near the bank, and just off to the side. Good enough for a picky brown in shallow, flat water. Grace under pressure.

All the best,