Review Highlights
Excellent Back Country Fly Fishing

We had a blast fishing with Casey on the South Island. We took a helicopter out of Haast into the... read more

Reviewed 13 January 2019
cmconant
Houston, Texas
Perfect Fly Fishing trip with Casey

What an absolutely incredible experience fly fishing in New Zealand thanks to Casey. As a novice... read more

Reviewed 15 November 2018

from US$139.75
from US$85.67
from US$122.89
More Info
All reviews dry fly fly fishing brown trout great company mataura river fishing guide south island experienced angler his knowledge new zealand an excellent guide a lot of fun great trip casey casting beginners teacher
Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Terrific guide. Very knowledgeable. I’m an experienced angler and had multiple hookups and fish in tough conditions. I could not have done this without Casey. Thanks. I hope to be back.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 31 January 2018

My 14 yo son and I have been out twice with Casey and have found him to be a passionate, knowledgable angler/outdoorsman who shares his insights with enthusiasm. An encyclopedic knowledge of lower South Island waters and how to approach them. Overall, a great experience and has a good feel for tailoring his approach to the expertise/experience of the angler. He showed great patience/willingness to teach /encouragement with my son who has been fly casting for about 5 years. An added level of confidence and interest has been the result of our trips with him. An invaluable experience.

Date of experience: January 2018
CaseyCravens, Owner at Wild Angler - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2018

Thanks for the kind review, David. I'm glad the Mataura was able to produce, even during the drought. You guys were a lot of fun to take out, and your success is due in large part to your positive attitude. It helps that you're a great nymph fisherman and know how to read water. And Blaine made his first cast perfectly, under pressure, to get that good brown on a dry fly. It was a great day for the guide.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

I have yet to meet a more dedicated passionate and dedicated fishing guide than Casey. The day seemed to fly by as we fished the Mataura river hard. Casey compensated for my lack of skills with his easy going authentic friendly style
A highlight was to target highly trout feeding selectively on the the tiny yellow “Willa” bug. An experience that will live with me for a long time. Great company and an enjoyable day on the river.

Date of experience: December 2017
CaseyCravens, Owner at Wild Angler - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2018

Thanks, Mike.

The brown's behaviour when locked on the willow grub is so interesting, isn't it? They bunch up close to the food source and seem to feed with intention, grabbing the buttery morsel before their competitors can.

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm lucky to have clients like you guys.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

My husband fished with Casey and had a sensational time!
We were in Queenstown and Casey's knowledge, experience and hospitality were invaluable.
Casey was a great mentor and my husband caught the most amount of fish he has ever caught - beautiful locations, quality fishing, great company!
He enjoyed it so much he's going back!

Date of experience: April 2017

Thanks, Karina:

It was a pleasure to take your husband out. Clients like that make me feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

All the best to you both.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

This was without doubt one of the best days fishing i have ever had and what a guide Casey is, always friendly and clearly passionate about what he does. We fished the upper Mataura river and i was very well looked after by Casey, who knew the river like the back of his hand. I landed 2 beautiful brown trout and lost countless other on both the dry fly and nymphs. I would highly recommend Casey and the Wild Angler to anyone looking for trout fishing in the South Island. I hope one day to be back!

Date of experience: November 2017
CaseyCravens, Owner at Wild Angler - Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Thanks, Archie. The fish were electric that day--so full of energy and fight and feeding like mad. I enjoyed taking you out on the Mataura. You're an excellent caster and that helps. You also piqued my interest about visiting Scotland and your Uniquely Scotland tours. Happy holidays and best wishes in 2018.