“Best seafood in Dunedin!”
Review of Fish hook

Fish hook
Ranked #47 of 403 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$5 - US$17
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Being NZ's most iconic dish, Fish Hook takes a new approach to revive the reputation of kiwi 'fush and chups' as we know it. Providing the highest quality fresh fish caught from our own boat in the local waters off the southern coast. We offer a wide range of species to choose from, Blue Cod, Sole, Monk and Gurnard just to name a few. Choose to have your fresh fish beer battered, crumbed or grilled (for those looking for a healthy option).Team this with your choice of shoestring, chunky McCain's fries or Kumera fries (sweet potato), a variety of sauces or pick from the range of fresh salads to create your ideal fish and chip meal.If you want to get a bit fancy or try something different there's also calamari rings,scallops, sweet chilli prawn skewers or salt n pepper squid to name a few of your options and if you need something to quench your thurst. Local ales such as the classic southern Speights or Emersons are available along with a fine pick of wines and non alcoholic beverages.Locally owned and operated. Take away or sit in and enjoy a warm friendly atmosphere in the heart of Dunedin city.
Reviewed 2 February 2018

We had a delicious meal at the Fish Hook restaurant last night. The service was great. We had crumbed blue cod which was cooked perfectly, a yummy salad. The squid was tender and tasty! The chips were cooked perfectly, crispy on the outside. The price was very reasonable too. My wife had a delicious Thai fish soup which was full of flavor, perfect amount of spice. Will definitely go again !

Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

Amazing Bluff oysters! Beautifully battered and melt in your mouth perfection!!

A great range of meals and great service!

Reviewed 5 January 2018

Visited at lunchtime quite quiet ordered a piece of gurnard and chips. Reasonably priced and good food basically similar to Best Café but just fried fish and chips.
Recommend for a quick feed. Only a few tables not a full restaurant

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

I’m not sure what’s happened here! This place used to be sooooo good!! I’ve been here a few times and it was always yummy. I got gurnard last night for dinner with chips and prawn skewers. It was so expensive for what I got! The portion size was small and I didn’t get my sweet chilli aioli which I paid for. The best part was the prawns and not the fish which is not how it’s supposed to be! I was so so so disappointed! It’s such a shame.. it really is. I must say the fish was fresh but I was gutted cause the portion size was small and I paid $22.50 and that’s with an entertainment voucher!

Reviewed 9 December 2017

On the way home from a day trip we walked into Fish Hook for a quick meal. David had already checked the claim that they cooked fresh fish caught by themselves (true), & we each ordered fish, chips & requested 2 big salads. Absolutely delicious; crisp chips, perfectly cooked fish & 2 bowls of (also crisp) freshly dressed salads. Friendly, helpful service. Great value for money too.