All reviews breakfast buffet car park comfortable bed per day hotel restaurant nice room new zealand speights brewery easy walk free wifi great place to stay stayed for one night railway station south island valet parking central city comfortable stay
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Reviewed this hotel through Trip Advisor and ended up staying for our one night stopover in Dunedin. We were very happy with our choice. The room was spacious, shower was fantastic (which has to be a plus with me) the bed was comfy, pillows could have been a bit firmer. Staff was excellent on check in and check out. Casino was right next door which we ventured into and had a flutter. Was only about a 10min walk right into town. Very happy with our stay, thank you

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights over a weekend and loved it! Bed was so comfy, it was clean and tidy, staff were lovely. First time we ordered room service and it was delicious!
Best part is their green initiatives to support the environment. Great to see from an nz owned hotel group. If we come back to Duniden we will stay again!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Thank you that's great news! We're so pleased you found everything so good and were delighted to know how much you appreciate our environmental journey. We try really hard to do our part and make a difference so thank you for that and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Warm regards, Kate

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

We have been traveling the South Island in a little van for a week now! And we decided to treat ourselves with a comfortable bed and a room for the night! We made the right choice! This bed was to die for! It was so comfortable!
Easy check in, friendly staff!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks so much guys, that sounded like a brilliant idea and we're delighted that we could provide a cosy retreat for you for the night. Best of luck with your South Island adventures and we hope to see you again one day. Safe travels, Kate

Reviewed 23 July 2018

I was placed here for two nights by my company. The staff on reception were friendly and efficient.
The building is interesting -with the grand entrance to the casino in the ground floor. but it does show its age in some places.
The bed and room were comfortable and generally well-presented,and I had a good sleep. The Wifi was good. The (ancient) windows in my room did not completely seal. Although the room was warm, some noise from outside was occasionally noticeable through the windows. The shower over the bath was adequate, but this configuration is perhaps not what I would expect given the price charged for the room.
However, I suspect that pricing during my stay may have been influenced by a shortage of accommodation in Dunedin as a result of a large concert at the Forsyth Barr stadium.
A complimentary cheese board tray was in my room when I arrived. I didn't try this, because although it was wrapped, I could not know how long it had been there. I think this is unnecessary.
I would have given a higher overall rating if the room had been priced closer to what I see is normal advertised price.
I didn't try the restaurant or bar.
I would consider staying there again.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2018

Dear Guest
Thank you for you recent review, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We were glad that you found our staff friendly and efficient and that you had a good sleep while you were here. We thank you for your feedback and will take these comments on board for the future.
Kind regards, Kate

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

We booked a quick trip to Dunedin and found a great deal which included room, breakfast and parking. The location of the hotel was great with it only about six blocks to the main shopping with dozens of places to stop for eats, drinks etc.

The reception staff were happy, friendly and welcoming when we arrived. And the breakfast staff equally welcoming.

Our room was spacious, comfortable and quiet. Some might say it was dated but when you consider the hotel is the oldest in Dunedin, we have stayed at worse. Our only whinge would be that the shower water pressure wasn’t great.

Breakfast was very well presented and the different breakfast selections was extensive.

The parking was easy to get in and out of but we mainly walked to where we had to go.

I don’t think there would any reason we would not stay here again.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank TravellingAlpacas
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Dear Guest
So glad to hear that you enjoyed our package deal so much and found our parking service and breakfast so good. We appreciate your feedback and hope to host you again soon.
Kind regards, Kate