All reviewsbreakfast buffettour groupcar parkcomfortable bedper daynice roomhotel restaurantspeights brewerynew zealandeasy walkfree wifistayed for one nightgreat place to stayrailway stationsouth islandvalet parkingcentral city
Reviewed 12 June 2018

Actually the title of my review lies as I only purchase hot chocolates from here (or anywhere) but I assume they are just as great! I usually go in the late afternoon and the young barista there is amazing and always asks how my day is going which is very refreshing! The fire provides some great warmth and coupled with the tasty cheese rolls, hot chocolate, and friendly work staff this is one of my favourite places to go in Dunedin!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2018

We had intended to go to another restaurant a little way out of town but opted to try this one. Boy were we pleased with the choice, it was fabulous! The staff were friendly but not overly so (which I like) and the food was wholesome and superbly cooked. We've been in a few supposedly 1st Class hotels and restaurants lately and this one stood head and shoulders above the rest. The food was perfectly cooked, tasty and well presented, so much so that I had to compliment the chef. He looked to be quite a young chap but 'knew his onions'. Well done to Izzy and Rob for the great experience with your restaurant and staff.

Room Tip: We did not stay at this hotel but may well do next time round.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank makomihi
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2018

Dear Guest, thanks so much for your great review, we were absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our restaurant and staff and were so pleased you chose to try us. We hope that you will be back soon as we look forward to hosting you again. Kind regards, Kate

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Spacious room with comfortable king bed, tidy decor, helpful staff and good buffet breakfast. It's a reliable no surprises hotel offer. Good location walking distance to Octagon, cafes and bars, Vogel St.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

I recently spent 4 nights here in May while attending a conference.

The room was quite lovely, comfy bed, nicely decorated and good facilities - tea/coffee making, fridge etc.

The bathroom wasn’t awesome, but functional and clean. Really low sink, shower was tough to navigate and I’ve stayed at a lot of hotels with weird showers!

Very nice breakfast was served and there is a pub and a restaurant on site. There is also a casino but we didn’t check that out.

Within easy walking distance of lots of shops and restaurants. I’d stay here and recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review and feedback, we were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and in particular your breakfast and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Kate.

Reviewed 26 May 2018

We stayed for 2 nights with our tour group Grand Pacific Tours in May of this year and we had a very pleasant comfortable stay. Our room was very modern, spotlessly clean a large bed, all the amenities we needed for a great stay. We had a fantastic Scottish evening with bagpipes, great food and a special Haggis ceremony at the hotel which was just amazing.
All staff we encounter were professional, friendly and catered to our needs with a smile we really enjoyed our time at the Scenic Hotel Southern Cross and the lovely city of Dunedin.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple