All reviews breakfast buffet car park comfortable bed per day hotel restaurant nice room new zealand speights brewery easy walk free wifi great place to stay stayed for one night railway station south island valet parking central city comfortable stay
Reviewed 18 May 2018

On a coach trip of the South Island and whilst this hotel (casino based) lacked the views, it was way above basic. Very comfortable rooms and excellent comfortable and cosy bedding. Nice bathrooms and no outside noise could be heard. Had all amenities and very nice staff. Food in the dining room was also very good.
It was the second Scenic hotel we had stayed at and I am thinking the excellent quality and service might continue throughout the chain. Just a thought.

Room tip: We were on the second floor (from memory) and no problems at all. No complaints here.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Thanks so much for your review Diane, we were so pleased to receive it and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in Dunedin. Kind regards, Kate

Reviewed 12 May 2018

I get coffee here most days. It is served with a chocolate fish! Yep a chocolate fish...at breakfast time. But who cares? I eat it. The coffee is a bit hit an miss with multiple prices seemingly charged for the same thing. There is a menu and cabinet food. The space is split level and there is plenty of room and it is comfortable. I have eaten muffins, scrolls, sandwiches, buns, club sandwiches and scones as take aways. The other day I had a meal there. I chose fish and chips for lunch and it was $13.50. There were three pieces of fish,tartare sauce, salad and chips. And there was too much - it was lovely. You can also have breakfast at lunch time if you want which my friend did and it was delicious. It is a 10 minute walk from the central city down in the exchange. Well worth a visit. It is part of the Southern Cross Hotel so there are other restaurants there that open later plus upstairs is the Casino. They also serve meals there - but I do highly recommend Boldini's. The staff are very helpful.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Dear Guest
Thank for your comments regarding Boldini, we really value your business and feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards, Kate

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

Ok it's not the Hilton blah blah.
But if you are looking for a really nice warm comfortable clean hotel with really friendly team this is great.
The location is brilliant and central.
There are plenty of food options around from eating in to dining out.
Top marks for one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on.
Just watch that you don't leave the heater on high and honour like I did. That heater cooked my room it was too good!
I will come back for sure

Trip type: Travelled on business
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear Iain, thanks so much for taking the time to let us know how you found your stay, we were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your visit and in particular our beds and we look forward to hosting you again soon. Kind regards, Kate

Reviewed 26 April 2018

Lovely staff, always ready to help. Fabulous valet parking service. Rooms are clean and functional, but the whole place looks a bit dated. The location is in the less travelled part of town and it is a 10 minute walk to the action. The heritage museum of Otago is a must see.

Date of stay: April 2018
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2018

Dear David
Thank you very much for letting us know how your recent stay with us was. We really appreciate your feedback and we hope to host you again in the future.
Kind regards, Kate

Reviewed 17 April 2018

Dunedin is a beautiful place and if I have more time, I would stay another day or 2 to enjoy the city. This particular hotel is located on a rather quiet area and the nearest supermarket is 10-15 mins away. My friend & I wanted to go to Pak'NSave; located about 30 - 35 mins away from the hotel. It was a long walk but thank goodness for the cooling weather.
The hotel itself is kinda dated but the rooms could have been refurbished. I particularly enjoyed my sleep in this hotel; the bed is not too hard and the pillows are not too soft, just right. There's a bar located just next to the hotel if you wanna have a drink till late night but we were too exhausted to even check it out. Oh, this hotel also provides quite a good spread for breakfast.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Kate W, Guest Relations Manager at Scenic Hotel Southern Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Dear Janice
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay , we really appreciate it and were glad that you enjoyed your sleep and breakfast. We hope to see you again. Kind regards, Kate