Ways to Experience Penguin Place
from US$149.52
from US$153.36
from US$178.70
More Info
All reviews penguin hospital yellow eyed penguins the reserve hospital area rehab center rare penguins nesting boxes endangered species conservation project worthy cause their natural habitat their efforts money goes otago peninsula penguins coming informative talk coming ashore
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 October 2020

Seeing penguins close by in their natural habitat was an extraordinary experience. The tour is lead by very knowledgeable staff, who are committed to the penguins wellbeing , reforestation and conservation.

Date of experience: October 2020
Lisa K, Front Office Manager at Penguin Place, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2021

Thank you for visiting and supporting our project here at Penguin Place.

We are so glad it was a highlight on your trip.

Reviewed 19 October 2020 via mobile

The three of us took a tour at Penguin Place recently. Friendly welcome from the front desk then a thorough briefing on conservation issues facing Yellow-eyed penguin. Then over the hill in a bus and a walk through covered trenches to view nest sites.

I enjoyed myself saw some penguins and some other wildlife. Recommended.

2  Thank Bruce_M94

Reviewed 1 October 2020 via mobile

Penguins penguins and seals guaranteed. Enthusiastic, diligent and knowledgable tour guide. For the family ticket of just $120, we'll worth it.

Reviewed 22 September 2020

One of the best activities we did on our whole tour of both NZ islands! Friendly, welcoming, knowledgeable staff. Got to see lots of yellow-eyed penguins both in the sanctuary being restored to health and out in the wild. Ingenious set of tunnels & hides for humans to move around so as to be invisible to penguins coming back up the beach and also up the cliffs (!) Also, saw many sealions and seals that had also hauled themselves up to the higher (grassy) parts of the beach/cliffs. Bear in mind there's a bit of a drive on a bumpy track from one side of the O.P. headland to the other but it's all part of the fun! So impressed with all the staff!

Date of experience: January 2020

Thank you for visiting and supporting our project here at Penguin Place.

We are so glad you enjoyed your experience with us.

Reviewed 25 August 2020

I took a walk in the area yesterday and according to google maps, I could walk from one side of the peninsula to the other. Halfway along this road, I came across Penguin Palace, where I stopped to look at the information boards on the side of the road. A woman with a dog approached me and asked me what I thought I was doing because I was on private property. Unsure how that had happened, I apologized.
She then asked me where I was from, and when I replied that I was a local, she told me she didn't believe me. I explained that I am born and breed Kiwi, but have inherited a family member's accent, of which she replied "oh that's not so bad then".
I then received a lecture about how we need to stay away from the endangered the penguin, of which is replied, yes I know, because as I already told you, I am local. To prove that I wasn't trying to sneak onto their property to see the penguins, and in fact, had just been going for a walk, I showed her google maps, which listed the road as public, not private. I also pointed out that there was no private/dead-end road sign.
She then apologized for the whole ordeal and tried to sell me a tour ticket. Instead, I went home and cried.

Recommendations:
- Get Google maps to fix your road listing + put a private/dead end sign on the road
- Be welcoming to people who come to your car park, maybe then they will buy a tour
- Recognize that not all Kiwis sound alike
- Have a positive mindset towards foreign nationals

Date of experience: August 2020