“Amazing High Teas”
Review of The Press Club

The Press Club
Ranked #205 of 378 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$18 - US$33
Description: Inspired by Dunedin’s rich history and influenced by the abundance of outstanding local produce, our menus reflect both the seasons and the flavours of the region.
Reviewed 3 April 2021

Wow what an amazing experience. The High Tea exceeded all expectations. The food was delicious and the service was 5 star. The staff were extremely attentive, professional and friendly. Will be recommending to everyone and have already rebooked for my mums 80th birthday.

Date of visit: April 2021
Jennifer, Manager at The Press Club, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2021

Dear Marilyn,

Thank you so much for joining us at The Press Club for High Tea and for sharing how much you enjoyed your experience with us. We are so happy to share this feedback with our team. We look forward to your next visit to celebrate your Mum’s 80th birthday.

All the best,

Food and Beverage Manager

Write a reviewReviews (12)

Reviewed 27 March 2021

Sorry but probably won't return. Atmosphere was not relaxing. Staff constantly lingering near table. Asked for gluten free specifically and waiter said he would arrange this but entree came out not gluten free. Fortunately I do not have a severe allergy, but someone else might. 3 separate staff came an apologised, however I started to feel like I was on show. Main of scotch fillet steak arrived luke warm and vegetables almost cold. Asked for this to be warmed up. Arrived back slightly warmer but not much. Didn't bother with dessert as disappointed in first two courses and couldn't face another poor course. The young woman behind the bar did offer to take the cost of our wine off the bill, however I had to point out the bill was wrong. My husband and I dine out a lot and were not impressed. Such a shame as we were looking forward to trying somewhere new

Date of visit: March 2021
Jennifer, Other at The Press Club, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2021

Dear ak00pman,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this information. I have spoken with our restaurant supervisor and the team that was working when you dined with us. We have discussed the importance of being attentive without being obtrusive and we have provided the staff with helpful ways to practice this. We are constantly looking at how we can improve and this is absolutely an area we will focus on, we always want our guests to feel comfortable and relaxed. Our Chef will investigate the feedback provided about your mains, as you should not have received lukewarm meals. Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention, we will definitely take this onboard to better the experiences for all our guests.

Reviewed 4 March 2021 via mobile

Was excited to try this place out but left extremely disappointed. The food was tasteless, the portions very small. The charcuterie plate had little on it and came with some sliced white triangle toast bread? The meat mains were small portions, over cooked and came with tastless garnishes. Just very over priced. This is not good cooking or value for money, sorry but we will not return.

Date of visit: March 2021
Jennifer, Other at The Press Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2021

Dear Gingernut,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. I can assure you that here at The Press Club we do have high standards for the quality of food we serve from our kitchen and are disappointed to hear that the meals you received fell short of your expectations and therefore ours. This is not typically the feedback we receive and are following up internally to avoid recurrence. Once again thank you for brining this to our attention.

Reviewed 4 March 2021

I'm usually pretty kind and forgiving when I dine at a restaurant its not up to par (hospo background) but what I experienced here last week needs to be shared as I would hate for anybody to spend their hard earned money on poor service and sub par food.

First of all let me say our server Kane was absolutely lovely and he probably made the whole night for our table! Props to you Kane!

The 'sourdough bread and truffle butter' came out as three pieces of toast (which looked to be supermarket brand Freya's) and plain butter. It was literally as if we had ordered toast... $8. The risotto was undercooked and the meat on top was overdone and flavourless. The fried chicken and quinoa bread was literally a massive mountain of chicken (easily could be mistaken for KFC) and a few slices of seed bread... didn't see any quinoa and a big bowl of sour cream on the side... $37 for that.

The worst came when two of our party wanted to take home the remainder of their fried chicken (there was so much chicken served) to which we were told by another server that the restaurant did not have a 'takeaway license' and that they 'could not allow us to take the food off the property'. Something that sounded foreign to all of our party coming from or currently working in a hospitality background. We decided to eat the remainder of the chicken so it did not go to waste. About 10 minutes later our wonderful server Kane came back to apologise on behalf of the other server (whom we later found out was the manager of the restaurant) as she was too scared to come back to our table and admit error. We were pretty shocked by this and did not see the manager again - we were told by multiple other staff members she was hiding out back until we left...

As a group we spent close to $550 at this restaurant and were happy to accept that maybe the kitchen wasn't having a good night. However the behavior from the manager left a really sour taste in our mouths and we won't be returning and will be telling everyone else to steer clear of this place too.

Date of visit: February 2021
1  Thank narissarhodes95
WainsDunedin, Manager at The Press Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2021

Dear Narissa,

My name is Jennifer, I am the Food and Beverage Manager here at The Press Club and unfortunately, I was not here on the evening you dined with us, it was one of my supervisors who looked after you. I am so unbelievably sorry about the experience you had with us. I can ensure you that I take all feedback on board to better the experience for all our guests in any way possible.

I have done some investigating with the very new team that were working on the evening you dined with us to try and clear up the confusion and discuss the way the sequence of events was handled. You should not have had to leave the restaurant upset and our team should have apologized to you at the time for the errors we made. I am very sorry that I did not follow up the next day as I was under the impression the issue had been worked out with the supervisor and the team that were working that evening.

My staff informed me the following day that they had been unsure if food could be taken away. I have since discussed with the entire team and our restaurant supervisor the process we need to follow for packaging up the food and being able to send it away with our guests, as well as the importance of following our procedures and not procedures of places they have worked in the past, in some cases overseas.

We ordinarily pride ourselves on the excellent customer service we provide here at The Press Club, as such I will be providing further training for our newer team members on how to better handle issues that may arise ensuring we are always putting our guests first. We want to be honest and forthcoming and most definitely acknowledge any errors made on our behalf.

Please do contact me directly on fbm@fabledunedin.com if you would be willing to give us a second chance, I would love to invite you back for a complimentary meal as a gesture of goodwill.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 22 January 2021 via mobile

Great place, tasty well presented food and desserts. The venison was fantastic, highly recommend that dish!! We will come again !

Date of visit: January 2021

Dear pitbull_dad

Thank you so very much for visiting The Press Club and taking the time to provide us with such positive feedback. We are thrilled to hear how much you loved our dishes, especially the venison. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.