The Dunedin Museum of Natural Mystery
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
The best private museum in NZ

This museum is simply mind-blowing! I first visited it in its early days when the owner had just... read more

Reviewed yesterday
travelsominx
London, United Kingdom
Wonderful and weird

What a Dunedin treasure. You must go here if you're going to Dunedin, then when people say 'did you... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
OnAir62248497854

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Dunedin
from $35.00
from $50.26
from $125.00
More Info
All reviews natural history amazing collection each piece mind bending unique art on display for sale well worth a visit centre of town couple of hours new zealand curator bruce curiosities skeleton skull artists
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 September 2023

Hey this is absolutely the coolest I've ever been in NZ. So many collections not only just bones also other amazing interesting stuff. Bruce was so nice and friendly Talk to us about the collection and how he hunt for bones even some haunted stories.

That was a lot of fun there I'll recommend all my friends there. Thank you Bruce!

Ming.

Date of experience: September 2023
1  Thank Global23173463947
Reviewed 20 August 2023 via mobile

A great museum with an incredible collection. So interesting and our teenage kids also enjoyed reading about all the different artefacts. Bruce is very happy to answer any questions you have. Also impressed with Bruce's own art throughout the museum. Would definitely recommend as somewhere to visit.

Date of experience: August 2023
Reviewed 22 June 2023

As kids, we all want to get behind the doors of the museum, right? Here's your chance. Museum curator, artist, activist and musician Bruce Mahalski has curated a wonderfully quirky, inspired, informative collection, and he's there to guide you through it. It's just like being let loose in the stores of a civic museum—perhaps better. My visit included self-guided time followed by Bruce's own tour of objects, most of which I hadn't properly looked at. He knows the collection inside and out. It was terrific fun. Disclaimer: I contributed some writing to the book about his incredible bone art, which is also on display. I highly recommend checking that out—both the art and the book. The thinking behind his work and the museum is deep and thorough. I highly recommend a visit.

Date of experience: December 2022
Reviewed 19 June 2023

Fascinating gem of a museum: natural history / cabinet of curiosities / scientific ossuary / artist’s workshop! Charmingly presented in a victorian villa walking distance from the town center. I enjoyed (and envied) seeing the GIANT isopod, rare exotic mammalian skulls, unique prehistoric subfossils, awesome tribal masks, hilarious paranormal memorabilia and cleverly written provenance labels! The best little museum in the Southern Hemisphere, I recon! Give it an hour and a half

Date of experience: June 2023
Reviewed 1 June 2023

Something for everyone, unfortunately didn't have enough time, could spend a couple of hours easily. Some quirky stuff with really good explanatory notes. Defintely worth a visit

Date of experience: May 2023