“Amazing trip”

Monarch Wildlife Cruises & Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The crew of Monarch Wildlife Cruises and Tours take great delight and pride in getting our guests closer to our unique southern ocean wildlife, and to our glorious scenery.The Otago Peninsula and harbour is renowned for it's breeding populations of Northern Royal Albatross, Yellow-Eyed Penguins, Little Blue Penguins, furseals, sealions, and many other birds and mammals.Cruising on the MV Monarch is a great way to see them.
Reviewed 12 April 2018

We went on the half day Wildlife trip on a cold, showery Dunedin day but were assured by all the staff that those are the best days for seeing wildlife and they were so right. We saw 2 pods of orcas which was just amazing plus penguins, seals (all very active), loads of albatross and even a sealion. When we were picked up we were told we were the only passengers for the day - what a bonus as we got a very personalised tour from our skipper Buddy and first mate Sam. Both were incredibly knowledgeable about the area and the wildlife. After the boat trip we were picked up by Tim who gave us a great tour around the Otago Peninsula on our way home. The weather really didn't impact us at all because we were kept warm and dry by the excellent coats supplied by Monarch. A thoroughly enjoyable trip and one which we would highly recommend.

MonarchWildlife, Owner at Monarch Wildlife Cruises & Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2018

That is amazing - we see Orca just a few times each year so you were lucky! We do see their smaller cousins the dusky dolphins and Hector's dolphins quite often as their territories are much smaller than Orca.

All reviews
"saw dolphins"
"taiaroa head"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed 10 April 2018

I was in Dunedin for 5 days for a work related conference and had very little time off. For Saturday morning, my very last day, I decided to book a cruise with Monarch Wildlife Cruises in order to see the majestic Northen Royal Albatross. It was, no doubt about it, the best decision I could have ever made.

I was pick-up early at my hotel and when I arrived at Monarch office I was offered a hot beverage (and another one latter, during the trip), both very much needed and enjoyed. I was very surprised to learn that I was the only passanger for the 4-hour cruisse and even so, the cruise went along (thank you again Monarch Team!!). Meaning that the very knowledgeable guide Aaron and the ship captain were all for myself.

During the cruise through the Otago Harbour I was lucky enough to see resting first seals, a cormoran feeding on flatfish, a couple of species of seagulls, a nest of albatros with its chicken while one of the parents was feeding it… However, the real magic happened after we left the harbor behind.

I still don’t now what happened: aparrently a school of fish was just outside of the harbour and all kinds of birds (in really massive numbers) and even first seals were feeding on them. We saw countless amounts of Northen Royal Albatross, both young and old, flying both overhead and along with our boat and even landing beside us on the water!

After the cruise was finished I was drive back to my hotel in a minibus by Paul, a very nice person, cameraman and driver.

Thank you very much to Aaron and the whole Monarch team for an OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCE! Four of the best hours of my life, surely.

Lucky!
We have seen some huge schools of fish this year - and they do attract a lot of feeding action.
Great for you that you were the only passenger - but a pity more people didn't come to enjoy the autumn action.
We have great wildlife all year round.
Cheers

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

Great commentary from both the skipper and the first mate! Both very knowledgeable. It was great to have coats and binoculars included. We saw three different varieties of Albatross, fur seals, sea lions and even a cute little blue penguin! Great day and a small group meant that all of our questions were answered.

Reviewed 7 April 2018

Had an amazing hour aboard the Monarch on the wildlife tour, highlight would have to be the many albatross gliding overhead but totally enjoyed the whole experience

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 April 2018

We booked this tour as recommended by a friend who lives in Dunedin and we were not disappointed.

We started our afternoon with a lovely drive along the Otago Peninsula. As we were the only two in our groups, we had a great time with David who had driven us. He was full of knowledge about the area and it was one of the highlights of our time in Dunedin- an absolute credit to your company!

David took us to where the wildlife boat was moored. We then braved some high swells (be warned for those who get sea-sick! Advisable to take some medication in precaution) to the Albatross viewing areas. Our boat driver Nigel gave us wonderfully interesting facts about the albatrosses and seemed able to spot things without binoculars.

The Monarch company kindly provided rain jackets and binoculars for everyone on board. They provided a fab bit of extra warmth.

We managed to spot loads of baby fur seal pups lounging on the rocks and even saw a few sea lion. after approximately an hour of wildlife spotting, we meandered back to Dunedin harbour whilst Nigel and his team arranged teas, coffees and continuing commentary about places of interest along the way. We were treated to one of the best sunsets I've ever seen in NZ during my 17month stay here!

Thank you very much to David, Nigel and the whole Monarch team for a wonderful experience!