Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
kerrydp
Christchurch, New Zealand

Ideal overnight spot on a roadtrip

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 5 Jan 2023
While not an overtly extravagant motel, the George Street Motel Apartments is decent enough for what it is. In fact, it surprised me with what it had to offer. Our family of four easily fitted into a standard room (a large bed in the bedroom for us parents, and two single beds in the lounge for the kids). The lounge had a large TV, and the bedroom had a second TV. It was clean, tidy, and warm. And, the plunger coffee was great!

We stayed in the height of summer, so cooling was a little bit of an issue, but the sleep was still comfortable. The room has many types of heating (including central heating) but it didn't seem to offer the same facilities for cooling. I'd be interested to see what the room is like in winter, as the large window appeared to be single glazing, and the doorframe seemed to leak in outside air. In Dunedin, temperature is everything.

Parking was fine (we were right down the back, away from the street side, so I felt our car was safe). We were staying on the top floor, so it was a little bit of a sport to get all our luggage up and down the stairs. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful. All in all, the accommodation turned out better than what I was expecting, and I'd happily stay there again.
Date of stay: January 2023
1.6 km from George Street Motel Apartments
    $173
5.4 km from George Street Motel Apartments
View more hotels in Dunedin
All reviews george street central heating great location nice shower two single beds beds were comfortable within walking distance plunger coffee the kitchen ample parking otago university top floor stay there again road noise car park a great place to stay bedroom
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 June 2022 via mobile

I brought my daughter to Dunedin to have a look around Otago University and we based ourselves sr George St Motel Apartments. It was the perfect location as we never had too far to walk and we always had a car park there. The room we had was big enough for both of us, had everything we needed and the beds were comfortable. The team is great and I thoroughly recommend you check them out.

Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2022

I have stayed here three times now while visiting my student daughter at Otago Uni. The motel is very convenient to the university and to the student accommodation around the uni. Every time has been excellent. Very clean with lots of extra touches. I stayed in the studio apartment which is fully furnished with a fully functional kitchen. It's great having a living space so you're not sitting on your bed all the time. The owner even defrosted my very frosted up car when I visited during winter last year. I think this place is great value for your money. Very comfortable and convenient

Date of stay: May 2022
Reviewed 7 February 2022

This is definitely a budget level motel.

While It has been modernised the bedding looks tired and the bed in the lounge with the dark decor and dark red covers looked very old fashioned. Both beds had obviously been sat on with crumples and dents in them. That made me check the linen which seemed to be ok but this should be checked before folk arrive.
A nice shower but very narrow space.

The kitchen and bathroom are modern and very functional. The woodwork around doors etc could do with a clean though.

The young staff member in the office was lovely, - friendly and polite.

Room tip: Ask for a ground floor room as the stairs are steep and old and not very clean.
Date of stay: February 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2021

I have stayed here many times prior to this visit, as it is a very handy location and friendly staff. This visit I discovered a bed for my daughter had clearly already been slept in with a large number of hairs all through it, marks all on the sheets, the clear body imprints that you don't get from nice fresh sheets, and just plain dirty looking sheets. Unfortunately I only discovered this after 10pm.

The following morning I informed the guy who I checked in with the day before. He had a look and agreed that someone had clearly slept in the bed and apologised.

I was however concerned with the response of 'We only make the beds up that we think were slept in. So if it was two people in here prior we would expect they would have only used the bed in the bedroom and not checked the one in the lounge. People can remake the beds and if they look made up when don't change or check them. I'm sorry.'

I don't expect to pay for a room to discover that part of it has been used, especially during these current times. Very disappointed and was made to feel that it was not a big deal anyway. Kinda ruined our trip. Will not be back.

Date of stay: October 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2021

It would be very easy to provide a higher rating were it not for a couple of very minor issues.
Reception upon arrival was friendly although no other dialogue other than being instructed where my room was given. One question I had to ask was where to park, and therein is one of those issues. The answer was anywhere there was a space, which is limited given the number of rooms and the fact that some occupants seem to feel the need to straddle two marked parking areas.
Room itself, upon entry was fabulous regards décor and what was provided, which included plenty of furnishings, including a sofa, spare single bed, table and chairs, and a large TV screen. Kitchenette included a stove as well as a microwave and good assortment of utensils and beverage provisions. I was super impressed.
Bedroom was a little more basic in décor but contained a wonderfully comfortable Queen size bed plenty of storage space and another TV.
Bathroom was the other issue resulting in a slight slippage of overall rating. While on the small but adequate size, the shower was quite small and provided water that fluctuated in temperature (without additional manual control). Showering; stepping out; and drying oneself all required some additional calisthenics to achieve an adequate result.
What was excellent was the fact that the room was serviced daily, so there was no requirement to have to resupply your own beverage provisions or be required to continuously re-use the same bathroom linen over a period of time.
Also provided was an excellent allocation of free Wi-Fi.
Being located on one of Dunedin’s main streets does make for the occasional noise disturbance but this was very minimal. What it does provide for is close proximity to all manner of shopping, including many eateries.
Absolute excellent value for money, and one place I shall certainly consider returning to when ion the area.

Date of stay: September 2021