“Wonderful B&B!”
Review of Arden Street House

Arden Street House
Ranked #25 of 61 Dunedin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2016

I loved my stay at the Arden Street House. The owners of this B&B are so warm, welcoming and helpful! They were kind enough during my stay to show me around town and invite me to several events they were attending in the community. They are extremely friendly and sociable and make you feel very included during your stay! Every dinner I had at the B&B was delicious, with enjoyable conversations as they often have travelers from all over the world staying with them. It was a great place to get to know people from other places and share stories. I would highly recommend staying here! The owners couldn't be more likable, helpful and kind. I will miss my time spent at the Arden Street House and will definitely return if I ever find myself in New Zealand again.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
joyce l, Owner at Arden Street House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

Nicole it was such a pleasure to meet you. We really enjoyed getting to know you and spending time with you. Good luck with your nursing. Hope to see you again back in New Zealand
Joyce and Dave

Reviewed 26 May 2016

Booked the accommodation for a month with two other friends of mine. Affordable and a very comfortable stay. The owners and helpers were incredibly helpful and sociable. Dinners at the house were particularly delicious and definitely provided a very kiwi experience. 15-20mins walk into town through the very beautiful botanical gardens. I recommend this B&B highly to anyone.
Many Thanks to the owners for having us over!
Shaan

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
joyce l, Owner at Arden Street House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2016

Hi Saan,
Thanks for the great review. It was such a pleasure hosting you and your two friends, we also especially enjoyed the great conversations and fun at dinner times. I know the three of you are going to make fantastic doctors. All the best for your futures. Keep in touch!
Cheers
Joyce Dave, Vivien and Malvina.

Reviewed 24 April 2016

Stayed here for a month, best decision I could of made! The owners are warm, welcoming and very helpful. Also, add in affordable pricing, great company at dinner and a whole host of guests from near and far, it is easy to see why I had such a great time here. If you are looking for a nice place to say, with a nice walk into town (through the botanical gardens) or a manageable drive, I could not recommend a friendly, nicer place.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
joyce l, Owner at Arden Street House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2016

Kwesi it was such a pleasure to host you and your two friends. We so really enjoyed the dinner times together the great conversation, your infectious laughter! I know you will make a fantastic doctor! All the best for your future! Keep in touch!

Reviewed 19 March 2016

Free wifi and breakfast. Lovely accomodating hosts that knew the area well. It is a well suited location. Heating was sufficient and the place also has air conditioning. Easy to find and book. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Good views
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
kiwigirldunedin, Owner at Arden Street House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2017

Thanks for reviewing our home. Really pleased you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 19 March 2016

We stayed there for two nights in December. We had the double room with own bathroom. The sleeping room was okay sizewise and the bed was good. The bathroom is really tiny and needs definitly some update. We stayed in several other B&Bs in NZ and this one was the worst "value-for-money" wise. Not sure but during our stay the B&B was run by some long term guests becaus the owner were on vacation. We didn't had breakfast but from the choice is was lower standard and do-it-yourself. If we wouldn't had paid upfront we would have definitly left for another accomodation. For travelers without car: be aware that it is located on the top of a steep street.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple

It is such a shame when as an business owner who has heart and souls into our business going the extra mile, to make sure that guests stay with us create unique and warm memories and much as we know that we have done everything we can to give our guests a lovely stay and experience.
A negative review such as this guest has written is such a shame for a number of reasons:
1) that they felt they had a bad experience, as we try very hard to ensure all guests have some real kiwi hospitality an unique and great experience staying with us.
2) it is also such a strong and negative review (can have a large negative impact on a business.
I think that to criticize, my very experienced staff (calling them long term guests?)
Criticizing the breakfast as lower standard (which they did not actually even see), our breakfasts are a continental breakfast of fresh fruit salad, home made yoghurt, assorted breads and assorted cereals (muesli, cornflakes wheetbix), orange juice, assorted teas, plunger coffee.
December is the height of the tourist season and at $130 for a room with its own ensuite bathroom and including breakfast would be considered very affordable and not expensive.
Yes I am disappointed and saddened that these guests felt the need to write such a negative comment and give us such a low rating, our business if our life and we do take all comments very seriously, (whether it is accurate or not, it is still very upsetting.)