All reviews fresh fruit salad other guests knox college charming place to stay new zealand single room friendly hosts living room city centre comfortable bed joyce
Reviewed 27 December 2014

I had booked into Arden house for 5 nights via expedia because my apartment was getting work done on it. I came in quite late the first night and found my room to basically be a damp closet with a bed in it. It smelled terrible and someone with asthma would have died in it. The next day a friend let me know that I could stay with him instead if I wanted. I told this to the owner Joyce around 1pm who told me the cancellation policy was 48 hours notice so I would have to pay for 3 nights when in the end I stayed for about 15 hours. I thought I was going to stay that night as well so I paid up figuring a one night's penalty was reasonable. But, then my friend told me I should come over right away and when I asked Joyce about getting a night's rent back she told me I was lucky she didn't charge me for 4 nights since it was after check-out time on the first night by the time I talked to her. I've traveled all over the world and never heard of anyone having more than a 24 hour cancellation on a non-prepaid room. Don't give people like this your money, there are plenty of better places to stay in Dunedin.

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Steve_SES
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My friends and I needed a place to stay in Dunedin and came across Arden House. We chose the ensuite room with a double and single bed and its own bathroom. Perfect place for 3 girls. The owners Joyce and Dave and their staff were really welcoming and friendly. Our friend wasn't feeling well so they let us have a late checkout which was nice. Tea and coffee available at all times along with a simple, light breakfast included.

Room tip: If you want your own bathroom, opt for the ensuite room.
Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here on our first night in New Zealand and fell instantly in love with it's eclectic, homely charm. The house is a classic Dunedin-er with bay windows and has been decorated with the hosts vast collection of bric a brac and collectables.

Our room was at the back of the house and very quiet and warmed by a space heater. We eventually met the host, Joyce, and she was great - very chatty and had good advice on where to get a drink and something to eat locally. Arden Street House comes with a couple of resident cats who frequent the hallway and the lounge (if encouraged) but not the bedrooms. If you are allergic to cats you may need to know this. The breakfast was good with as much DIY french press coffee or tea as you can drink. We enjoyed our stay here and would stay again should we visit Dunedin in the future.

However, a note of warning in regards to finding Arden Street House - Arden Street itself is broken up by a steep set of stairs and many people, us included, were bamboozled by this and knocked on the door of another place called 'Arden House' at the foot of the stairs. This house has a note tacked to the door saying they were not Arden Street House and providing directions to the our destination. Contrary to what others have written here, no long slog up the stairs is necessary, unless you are arriving on foot when this is indeed the quickest way to reach Arden Street House - if you are driving or being driven, you can park directly in front of it and there are no stairs to climb.

Room tip: Ask for one with an ensuite.
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a double room last minute at this place and arrived quite late in the evening. Joyce opened the door with a huge smile and welcomed us in her b&b very warmly. She is a very kind and helpful person. The house looks like a charming little museum with many pieces of art everywhere - some nice and some ugly. But the overall atmosphere is very comfy and it really feels like home. The facilities are very clean (and they smell like they've just been cleaned). I would totally recommend this place!

Date of stay: April 2014
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I had looked at this place on the net and unfortunately paid for it in advance. I thought it looked charming and quaint. Hence I booked it. Foolishly I did not read the negative reviews! Granted the place is "quirky", and it appeared clean. However, the place is a kin to a hostel.- but an expensive one at $125 a night. My husband and I have stayed in B&B's for years in NZ and overseas and this was very over priced for what you got. I had a late flight in, and when I explained to the owner that I was not happy with the room, she refused to give me any money back. I then had to go and book a room in a motel. All in all a very negative experience. I suppose the pitfalls of an unregulated industry i.e. B & Bs

Room tip: dont stay there would be my advice
Date of stay: March 2014