“Excellent value, feels like home”
Review of Arden Street House

Arden Street House
Ranked #25 of 61 Dunedin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a double room last minute at this place and arrived quite late in the evening. Joyce opened the door with a huge smile and welcomed us in her b&b very warmly. She is a very kind and helpful person. The house looks like a charming little museum with many pieces of art everywhere - some nice and some ugly. But the overall atmosphere is very comfy and it really feels like home. The facilities are very clean (and they smell like they've just been cleaned). I would totally recommend this place!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I had looked at this place on the net and unfortunately paid for it in advance. I thought it looked charming and quaint. Hence I booked it. Foolishly I did not read the negative reviews! Granted the place is "quirky", and it appeared clean. However, the place is a kin to a hostel.- but an expensive one at $125 a night. My husband and I have stayed in B&B's for years in NZ and overseas and this was very over priced for what you got. I had a late flight in, and when I explained to the owner that I was not happy with the room, she refused to give me any money back. I then had to go and book a room in a motel. All in all a very negative experience. I suppose the pitfalls of an unregulated industry i.e. B & Bs

Room Tip: dont stay there would be my advice
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We had an incredible stay at Arden street house. The interior is very quirky and gives off a warm vibe. Our room was very spacious and we felt like we were right at home. The location is ideal, we were able to take a short walk to the botanical gardens. The positioning of the house is also great, as we had a stunning view of Dunedin. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed in their ensuite room, what a great eccentric place. Interesting decor all around, quiet location. It's about 40 minute walk to the city center, or there is a bus connection too, I walked whenever I went into the center. Good breakfast too

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2013

It was a last minute decision to stay in Dunedin and there was still a single room available in Arden house. When I arrived in the b&b people were having dinner and I was invited to join for desert. The room was a bit dated but it had a good bed and enough room for 1 person. I loved the fresh fruit salad for breakfast and enjoyed the company of the other guests. When I was there all guests were 40+ and there was one family. I think there were younger people staying in the backpackers in the back. It was a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo