“Expensive, raw potato, server touched food on plate”
Review of Twenty Seven Steps

Twenty Seven Steps
Ranked #24 of 1,221 Restaurants in Christchurch
Reviewed 14 February 2024

Very disappointed. At an expensive ($100 valentines set menu per person), you expect to be served food thats cooked properly. We ordered food from downstairs, (,upstairs booked out). My partner (who rarely complains was served raw potato). Server and manager came out to confirm issue with food. Manager touched potato while oattner still finishinf wgat he could. Unecessary because the dificulty had cutting potato showed it was semi raw. Both server and manager offered a discount, or a wine or Panna cotta. (I'm pregnant and vegan so discount please). When paying partner wasn't given receipt and after doing the math discovered they hadn't given the discount they had promised.
Also I emailed prior to check I could get vegan food and was told I could order from restaurant or bar. It would have been nice if they had said that restaurant was set menu only and attached this. Instead i was told i could order either. As we were looking forward to dessert and didn't want to order full set menu when we were sitting downstairs, outside on bar stools.

1  Thank Olivia B

Reviewed 11 February 2024 via mobile

On a recent visit to Christchurch I was keen to have dinner at 27 Steps. It was a favourite place when I was working in Christchurch a few years ago. Once again, it was excellent. I always get a teacup of soup as a starter and I am always very impressed with the soup they have. We got two other starters between the 4 of us which were equally impressive. All of us selected different mains and we were happy with our choices. I had the Canterbury beef dish. To finish we had the chocolate and hazelnut torte and a crème brûlée. The torte exceeded expectations and I will definitely be back to have that on another visit (assuming it is still on the menu). Checking their website again I note “Most of this menu is available for pick up: Monday – Saturday, 5pm – 9pm, 10% off dine in price.” Worth looking at this if you can’t get a booking.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank S_Corban
Reviewed 4 February 2024

Restaurant upstairs, with an outlook into New Regent Street. Sitting was a bit tight and the atmosphere bland. Food not up to our expectation as we had dined at many Christchurch restaurants in the two weeks before.

Date of visit: August 2023
Reviewed 2 February 2024 via mobile

Nice restaurant on the second floor overlooking an action
Packed street. The food was excellent . And the service was good as
Well. Original menu lots of fun things

Reviewed 13 January 2024 via mobile

We had booked this restaurant a few months ago whilst in the UK as the reviews looked fabulous.
We were really so so impressed, from the friendly staff, the choices on the menu and the quality of the food. Each of our 3 courses were well thought through, and so many elements to each dish, in terms of contrasting flavours, textures and small details.
Between us we had the duck liver parfait to share, rack of lamb (absolutely exceptional!!), venison, caramelised apricots and a creme brulee. For us it was food perfection, only wish we were nearer Christchurch rather than the other side of the world.
Prices for the meal were more than reasonable for the quality and presentation 👌 Thank you, our best experience in Christchurch.