“Nothings Changed, Overpriced Steak”

Lone Star Manchester St
Ranked #241 of 1,167 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$10 - US$21
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, New Zealand
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Original site of the very first Lone Star New Zealand restaurant & bar which opened nearly 30 years ago in 1988. Lone Star Manchester St is dedicated to serving legendary food & drink and proving an exceptional dining experience to our thousands of valued guests so join us for an iconic Kiwi lunch or dinner. We are open every day from 12.00pm
Reviewed 23 February 2016

First visit to the new Lone Star, they appear to be doing everything much the same, my partner and I both ordered the Ribeye one with eggs and one without and for $39 I was really looking forward to a stunning steak dish. The ribeye itself was fine but the plates really lack imagination with 11 potatoes each my partner and I weren't lacking in spuds and then just the normal old coleslaw on the side. Still hunting for what made it worth $39, there is much better steak to be had in town. Everything was only ok

trevor c, Owner at Lone Star Manchester St, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2016

We will pass your comments onto our Franchise
I would say the Kiwi Joker steak meal you refer to is a big seller at Lone Star with a 350g steak onions mushrooms buff potatoes coleslaw and two eggs.
Thankyou for dining with us

Reviewed 10 February 2016

The staff were friendly. My husband had the lamb and it was cooked great and portions were generous. I had the prawns and they were small and over spiced. Elvis Presley music played all night which seemed strange in New Zealand. Service was excellent.

trevor c, Owner at Lone Star Manchester St, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2016

Thankyou for your review.
Will look into the prawns being too spicey.
We love Elvis and all country music at Lone Star and is selected by our Founders.
Hope you are a fan too.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

Hadn't been to the Loan Star since it reopened after the earthquake and its new look. Very impressive new building and restaurant looks really appealing.
We were there two weeks ago with two other friends and it was a Friday night so thought we would have to wait as no reservation. However we were pleasantly surprised and had to wait only 15 minutes for a table. Lovely bar where we had a pretty dinner drink. The main restaurant was very dark and as we are in our mid 60s found it difficult to read the menu. The restaurant was extremely noisey but that's what the younger people wish for. We found it very difficult to have a conversation with each other. However we ordered and I was happy with my choice of BURRITO RANCHERO which was delicious. One of our friends ordered the Maverick Fillet and for $39 we were shocked at the price for the size of the meal. Another friend ordered the Stand By Your Lamb at $32 was tender but again for the price was to our opinion overpriced. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful but we would not go again. There are better restaurants in Christchurch than this.

Thankyou for your comments.
Prices are set by our National Franchise and are constantly monitored.
The cuts of meat are preminum cuts and market priced.
Thankyou for dining with us and I look forward to reading your future reviews.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

service and food was fantastic the atmosphere good and the cleanliness super. No waiting to be seated and all the staff were lovely checking to make sure we were happy

Reviewed 10 January 2016

We have been going here for years and had another enjoyable meal here today. The new restaurant had a nice atmosphere with emotional links to the past premises.
The meals were good, but overpriced compared to other restaurants in town in my opinion. However it was a good experience nevertheless. The staff were friendly and attentive.

trevor c, Owner at Lone Star Manchester St, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2016

Thank you for your review.
Prices are set by our Franchise and are current market.
I will pass your comments on to them.