All reviews robin sue guest lounge christchurch area gracious hosts olive orchard before heading home short drive beautiful room a great place to stay city centre nz clearwater airport accommodation
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I had never stayed in a bed and breakfast before and she was especially wary, but all of the excellent reviews persuaded her that the Clearview Lodge would be a great choice for our first. I'm afraid that the bar has been set so high, it will be a difficult experience to top.

We took a two week holiday with her parents that were visiting from the US. The first week in Melbourne, combined with their jet lag, made them really look forward to a more relaxing second week in New Zealand. Our hosts, Sue and Robin, were very accomodating and greeted us with with wine from their vineyards and olive oil from their groves.

One of the highlights of the trip for my mother-in-law was the tour that Sue gave us of the grounds and her beautiful gardens. And my father-in-law enjoyed the cats! Though I would have to say that his favorite part of the stay was being able to watch the Superbowl in the middle of the afternoon on the commfortable leather furniture in the guests' lounge.

Even before our arrival, Sue took great care of us! I was trying to book tickets on the Tranz Alpine train from Christchurch to Greymouth through the Southern Alps, but was having trouble from Singapore. Sue's efforts saved us hundreds of dollars on the round trip. Her sage advice to book our trip a day later when New Zealand had a national holiday saved us from from being disappointed in trying to see other local attractions that might have been closed.

The house was beautiful, well appointed, and very clean. Again, the grounds were gorgeous. But my personal favorite part of out stay was the breakfast that Robin and Sue took turns making us every morning! We had loads of fresh local fruit, breads, teas, and coffee. They were also very knowledgeable about local restaurants and the pizza delivery our first night saved us from having to venture out again after a long day of travel.

My wife's favorite was the treasure trove of menus from local restaurants she found in the guests' lounge upstairs! The location of the Clearview Lodge in a northern suburb of Christchurch made it very easy for us to enjoy great meals within a very short 10-15 minute drive. Not being used to driving on the left, that was literally a life-saver for me...

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ArnoldEats
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Clearview Lodge was among the top accomodations we had during our 1 month trip around New Zealand. Sue and Robin were very warm and welcoming when we arrived and despite our jet lag we felt right at home. The property itself and the surrounding area is beautifully landscaped and the room was wonderful, plus our hosts shared their own wine with us which was very special. We highly recommend the Clearview Lodge if you are in the Christchurch area.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Fantastic house....for the rich and famous:) We came early and were greeted with warmth, kindness and apple coffee cake with tea. Sue and Robin went out of their way to make sure that our journey (Air travel) went off without a hitch. Guests can go up to the common room (Which over looks their vineyards and their neighbor's deer farm.) In the evening, guests can enjoy wine from the vineyard along with nuts, olive oil and bread and other snacks and stimulating conversation with the other guests hosted by Robin and Sue. Many of the snacks were from the orchards and garden. The breakfasts were great...made to order. The hosts really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Your not pampered, but thoughtfully taken care of.
Our bedroom was on the first floor. We loved the spacious room, the settee, the king size bed the lovely bathroom, the french doors that led into the back yard, the soft bathrobes and slippers and fruit and chocolate.
They have free WI-FI

Room tip: We loved the first floor bedroom.... I believe the price is $375.00 a night, but I think you may be able to get it a bit cheaper if you go through one of the on line sites...but, I could just be making that up:)
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We did not plan to stay at Clearview. We had actually planned to stay in a hotel down the road which got flooded, so that hotel booked us into Clearview Lodge for the night. Very happy that they did.

The hosts were amazing. The house and grounds are impeccable. The breakfast was lovely and homely. I have no hesitation in recommending Clearview to everybody and should we ever be in the vicinity again, that is where we will be staying.

1  Thank DimmestAcorn2
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful vacation to New Zealand. Of all our accommodations Clearview was by far the best. Sue and Robin were terrific hosts and their bed and breakfast lodging was delightful. We arrived late in the day from Kaikora. We were greeted by both hosts and then settled into our extremely clean and comfortable room. We had a beautiful view of the back lawn and vineyards from our balcony. Fresh fruit, cold water and chocolates were placed next to our bed. We visited with Sue and Robin in the public lounge that night and enjoyed some wine and port from their own vineyard. They were extremely helpful in their recommendations of what to do and where to eat in the Christchurch area. Sue called for us to the Curator's House (fabulous food) by the Botanical Gardens to make reservations for the next night. We wanted to celebrate our last night in NZ with our son and his friends and the restaurant was a perfect choice. We would not have been able to eat at the Curator's House on such short notice if it had not been for Sue's call.
Robin's breakfasts were delicious. He asked what we would like to eat and cooked the eggs to perfection. Sue's homemade jams on freshly baked breads were scrumptious. Everything about Clearview Lodge receives a "10 out of 10". I only wish it was closer to Richmond, Virginia!

Date of stay: March 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
etypejaguar, Owner at Clearview Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Margaret and Bruce, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed your dinner with Andrew and his friends. I hope Andrew enjoys the rest of his time in New Zealand and maybe you can come and visit again and see some of the places you missed on this trip and come back again to see us. Regards Sue and Robin