Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
20marg1962
Invercargill, New Zealand

Awesome stay and lovely clean accommodation

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 13 Oct 2015
What a great stay and the most helpful and friendliest man Allen with his dog Abbey helped my stay more relaxed. The other people in the Lodge were great people too. Clean and comfortable accommodation. I would strongly recommend this accommodation for people who just want to chill.
Date of stay: October 2015
Room Tip: The room above the kitchen gets all the noise from downstairs but a great room for view and...
Trip type: Travelled on business
    $212
    $225
8.7 km from Gingerbread Lodge Bed & Breakfast
View more hotels in Christchurch
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 June 2015

Had booked and advised that I was getting off the train and would arrive at a certain time. Arrived at the cottage at the time to find no one there. I waited (after having travelled most of the day) for 30 minutes out the front of what is essentially a suburban house before the owners turned up to let me in and show me to my room. Tea and coffee facilities are essentially in the owner's kitchen - you feel like you are intruding, rather than being welcomed to help yourself.

Bathroom/toilet seemed to be shared not only with other guests (which isn't such an issue), but with the occupants of the house also.

Breakfast. Breakfast is always served at 7.30am I was informed. Well the first morning was fine and the cooked breakfast was satisfying. The second morning I was catching the train and had to leave by 7.30am. I asked if I could therefore have breakfast at 7.00am - 'should be okay' was the response. Next morning no one turned up to do breakfast (? could I just help myself - I had no idea), so I left for the train station hungry and not getting the breakfast I had paid for. I also had to call for a taxi myself - lucky I had noted down a taxi phone number earlier otherwise there was no way of knowing what number to call - as there were no such numbers listed in the 'foyer/reception', and no one around to call a taxi for me.

The whole stay was very odd and not welcoming. Also I had pre-paid and had a receipt, yet when I asked about having breakfast at 7.00am the discussion was all about that 'I had to pay'. When I advised I had already paid, I was told that I hadn't and that I had to pay there and then. I produced the receipt, but apparently they were not convinced and said I should speak to the owner. Very poor treatment of paying guests.

The house itself needs considerable work - my room had a broken window that was 'repaired' with a pane of gladwrap. I could hear the wind whistling at night. Fortunately it was summer, but I suspect in winter it would be quite cold.

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2015

Neat tidy and hospitable but a little too far off the beaten track if one is walking around Christchurch. As the 1st stop from the airport with luggage I was a little unsure as to where to check-in as the video intercom on the front door was not working. although it is more likely to be operator error. i.e. ME!

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank StubbySenior
Reviewed 7 April 2015

Good accomodation affording private room with en-suite. Located approx 15 mins drive from the centre of Christchurch. Approx 20 mins drive to the airport but easy to locate. Very clean room and comfortable.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2015 via mobile

I stayed two nights there, met very nice people and a wonderful service has been provided...The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable too. The location is so close to the main street and the super market. Would come back and stay with again. Thank you.

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank laurawang91
Reviewed 2 March 2015

I stayed here for one night at the start of a two week adventure around New Zealand. It was my first night in New Zealand after six weeks spent backpacking Asia and Australia. My night here was a welcome rest and like being at home with family for a night. The room provided was fantastic with one of the comfiest beds I've ever slept in and a great en suite. The whole house was lovely clean and comfy. The two hosts were so lovely and very helpful with lots of local advice :) they improved our New Zealand experience with insider tips. We were also provided an amazing home cooked breakfast. Left feeling revitalised and rejuvenated - and ready for 2 weeks on the road. Thanks for having us and I recommend anyone to stay here!

Date of stay: October 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank JF9044