“Packed at the weekends with local retirees”
Review of Copenhagen Bakery

Copenhagen Bakery
Ranked #15 of 182 Quick Bites in Christchurch
Cuisines: European
Description: European and Danish style Bakery and cafe with freshly baked breads, pastries and cakes each day. A very full and delightful array of freshly baked cabinet food on display each day but Sundays and Public Holidays. The only bakery in Christchurch with such a vast variety of freshly filled salad rolls filled from scratch every day from their freshly baked sour dough breads. Catering for take out and dining in, also deliveries to businesses within town for morning tea and lunch shouts. Production of award winning hot pies and tasty savourys and many other products. All products are baked on site from artisan and scratch baking methods including sour dough breads and only using the very best of ingredients.
Reviewed 20 August 2019

As is usual with this place - solid food, solid service but expect fight your way past the camping locals at the weekend and the manic food que at the front counter. Bring your car if you dare - park a bit away and walk in. Much safer for your paintwork. Same as when it was in town a long time ago. Bit of a scrum to get the food but once sat down significantly better. Very nice food, great selection of filled rolls, pies, pastries and breads.

Date of visit: August 2019

Reviewed 15 August 2019 via mobile

I took a walk here to kill time and had a bacon frittata type thing. That was alright and the salsa was nice. The coffee tasted a bit burnt and I ordered a medium, but definitely got a small so that was a bit dissapointing. I hope she only charged me for a small. The variety in the bakery is pretty good and I would have tried something sweet if I was in the mood for it. The toilets need an update. The walls need to be wiped as they haven't looked like they been cleaned in a while and the skirting boards need a wipe.

Date of visit: August 2019
kiwigirldt, Owner at Copenhagen Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2020

Hi there, thank you for your comments, we may need to get the cleaners in twice a day? So sorry you feel the toilets fell short of your expectation. Our commercial cleaners are paid daily to come in and service these public areas. The skirting boards get dusted very regularly,
and the build up would be a combination of paper lint and water from the paper towel dispenser and water from people wiping their hands each day. The other surface, is soap on the wall from the soap dispenser, which is also cleaned daily. Our toilets are only 7 years old, built after the earthquakes in 2012. Not sure how often bathroom toilets need updating, if I was in the mood, I could change the decor regularly - but this could be rather costly!

Reviewed 29 July 2019 via mobile

This bakery used to be amazing, but service and food has really gone down hill no better than an average bakery these day, not worth going out of your way for.

Date of visit: July 2019
kiwigirldt, Owner at Copenhagen Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2019

Hello, I would really like to know the reasons why you say these comments please? We pride ourselves in our product and service and if there is something in particular you feel has disappointed your experience I would appreciate a personal email to me so we can understand your rating. You can contact me through our website and I hope you can find the time to elaborate. Many thanks. Donna

Reviewed 13 June 2019 via mobile

This bakery is also a very popular cafe. The locals love the range of offerings and the coffee is very good. You can get a loaf of bread, all types of breads or buy food that's already prepared. My companions and I enjoyed a pie, salad wrap and piece of very nice frittata. The service is friendly and very responsive. There are a lot of tables for seating and it's a good spot. Parking is right out front. I'll come again.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed 17 May 2019

A couple of local, elderly, friends and I visited this venue for lunch recently, having arranged ahead for a table to be reserved. First thing was young lady at the counter didn't know anything about a table reservation, went to find the manageress who said 'oh, sorry I forgot'! My friends are not the most mobile, and the only tables available were very small ones in a corner right next to a wall. My friends sat on the couch type seat behind the table where there wasn't room to swing a mouse, let alone a cat! My friend hit her elbow on the wall several times whilst cutting into her food. I asked for a proper chair rather than the pouffe on the other side (not 'quirky' just uncomfortable!), and one was provided. These corner tables must be the smallest in the world - no room for anything! I had hoped they might have all day breakfast (which most cafes seem to do these days) but was told, no, 'unless they happen to have some bacon left' (manageress' comment), so, I thought best not to pursue that. We had to settle for the other 'sandwich/pie' style fare on offer, ordered from the same counter as all the take out bakery stuff. The layout of the ordering section is very awkward in that the savoury stuff is on one side (left hand), of the till area, and the sweet goods on the other, but you are directed to queue from the left, thus making any sweet choice a hop across to the other side first and then back to the queue - not well thought out at all. The food was pretty much just like a hundred other cafes I have been in - given their glowing website I had expected more and something a bit more innovative perhaps. My pulled pork pannini was rather over toasted and very hard to cut into, but my fruit tart and the coffee were nice. Not sure I will return - and after this review I probably wouldn't be allowed through the door anyway!!!!

Date of visit: May 2019