“Gone down hill”
Review of Copenhagen Bakery

Copenhagen Bakery
Ranked #14 of 183 Quick Bites in Christchurch
Cuisines: European
Description: European and Danish style Bakery and cafe with freshly baked breads, pastries and cakes each day. A very full and delightful array of freshly baked cabinet food on display each day but Sundays and Public Holidays. The only bakery in Christchurch with such a vast variety of freshly filled salad rolls filled from scratch every day from their freshly baked sour dough breads. Catering for take out and dining in, also deliveries to businesses within town for morning tea and lunch shouts. Production of award winning hot pies and tasty savourys and many other products. All products are baked on site from artisan and scratch baking methods including sour dough breads and only using the very best of ingredients.
Reviewed 29 July 2019 via mobile

This bakery used to be amazing, but service and food has really gone down hill no better than an average bakery these day, not worth going out of your way for.

Date of visit: July 2019
kiwigirldt, Owner at Copenhagen Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2019

Hello, I would really like to know the reasons why you say these comments please? We pride ourselves in our product and service and if there is something in particular you feel has disappointed your experience I would appreciate a personal email to me so we can understand your rating. You can contact me through our website and I hope you can find the time to elaborate. Many thanks. Donna

Reviewed 13 June 2019 via mobile

This bakery is also a very popular cafe. The locals love the range of offerings and the coffee is very good. You can get a loaf of bread, all types of breads or buy food that's already prepared. My companions and I enjoyed a pie, salad wrap and piece of very nice frittata. The service is friendly and very responsive. There are a lot of tables for seating and it's a good spot. Parking is right out front. I'll come again.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed 17 May 2019

A couple of local, elderly, friends and I visited this venue for lunch recently, having arranged ahead for a table to be reserved. First thing was young lady at the counter didn't know anything about a table reservation, went to find the manageress who said 'oh, sorry I forgot'! My friends are not the most mobile, and the only tables available were very small ones in a corner right next to a wall. My friends sat on the couch type seat behind the table where there wasn't room to swing a mouse, let alone a cat! My friend hit her elbow on the wall several times whilst cutting into her food. I asked for a proper chair rather than the pouffe on the other side (not 'quirky' just uncomfortable!), and one was provided. These corner tables must be the smallest in the world - no room for anything! I had hoped they might have all day breakfast (which most cafes seem to do these days) but was told, no, 'unless they happen to have some bacon left' (manageress' comment), so, I thought best not to pursue that. We had to settle for the other 'sandwich/pie' style fare on offer, ordered from the same counter as all the take out bakery stuff. The layout of the ordering section is very awkward in that the savoury stuff is on one side (left hand), of the till area, and the sweet goods on the other, but you are directed to queue from the left, thus making any sweet choice a hop across to the other side first and then back to the queue - not well thought out at all. The food was pretty much just like a hundred other cafes I have been in - given their glowing website I had expected more and something a bit more innovative perhaps. My pulled pork pannini was rather over toasted and very hard to cut into, but my fruit tart and the coffee were nice. Not sure I will return - and after this review I probably wouldn't be allowed through the door anyway!!!!

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed 11 May 2019 via mobile

This place is a victim of its own popularity.

It needs someone to find in and organise it to deal with the volume of customers. The till is in the wrong place. There is no separate coffee order place.

They told me they don’t have time to look at the online orders when they’re busy!

It’s still worth coming here, but you really need to be patient in the face of of customer hostile, Fawlty towers like attitude.

Date of visit: May 2019
kiwigirldt, Owner at Copenhagen Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2019

Sorry but With Online orders their is a 24hour notice and we check these 3 times a day. We are serving our customers on the floor and not waiting for the emails or phone/text mesaages to come in. We are not a hotel reception or restuarant but a very popular bakery and do the very best we can to give the promptest and best service under sometimes extreme customer demands. Our sincere apologies if standing in a queue is a disappointment and frustrating exercise for you especially if you only wish for a coffee and perhaps more prompt service. We can not gauge when our customers will come in and what products our customers want so just like any other popular establishment or destination attraction you still have to line up and be patient in busy periods and not expect immediate service. We had a separate coffee counter just for walk ins but this was proven inefficient as 99% of the time the customer will order coffee and then ask for other tag on products at the main food counter to avoid standing in the queue which made other customers grumpy that came in first! It is very hard to please everyone all of the time but we do try our very best.

Reviewed 4 May 2019 via mobile

Whenever I go to Christchurch I find and excuse to visit Copenhagen Bakery. There is a wonderful range of breads, scrolls, buns and cakes. I always take some home to share.

Date of visit: February 2019