“Nice. Solid restaurant food, pretty good.”
Review of Dux Dine

Dux Dine
Ranked #57 of 1,194 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$12 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dux Dine is a reflection of the past but a move into the future. A contemporary feeling, with fresh local seafood and vegetarian delights, Dux Dine has plenty to offer. Our delicious New Zealand wines and Dux craft beers are certainly a crowd pleaser. Dux Dine is situated in a historic turn-of-the-century Villa that was originally the Station Masters House for the Riccarton Railway. The villa has been extensively but sympathetically reworked to provide a variety of spaces to be enjoyed whether it be an intimate candlelit dinner for two, a large group celebration at one of the huge Kauri tables, grabbing a morning coffee at the breakfast bar, enjoyi Dux Dine has many reminiscences of the iconic Dux de Lux yet new and fresh while remaining comfortably familiar. Many of the old favourites can be seen on the menu as well as exciting fresh new foods and ideas. Dux Dine offers many setting options, from relaxing in a lounge, formal table setting to sitting in our sun drenched court yard. Whether it be a small group, special lunch or dinner, corporate event, product launch or company celebration we can cater for your needs. As a company we are passionate about supporting the local businesses around us. The seafood served in the restaurant is frequently sourced from Akaroa, Stuart Island and the West and East Coast including Southern Glory Oysters. With the ever changing environment, Dux Dine is pleased to say that we are environmentally friendly. Coffee cups, take away containers, and menus are all recycled.
Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

Family friendly, not too expensive. Service was polite.
Starters were nice enough- large serves! Not particularly ‘tasty’ but looked good. My seafood chowder was good but I would have expected a bit more from a restaurant that seems to specialise in seafood. There were two cockles/clams/pipis (depending on where you’re from) in their shells on top with some garnish but the chowder itself was too finely chopped- sort of like if you made it from supermarket ‘seafood mix’ rather than any large bits of squid or whole prawns, pieces of lobster/crayfish. It was a bit ‘bland white sauce’ than if it was made on a good seafood stock with white wine and herbs to add some punch. I was a bit disappointed. My wife’s arancini balls were nice (5 or 6 large balls!) but I have to say a bit bland - the sauce with them was nice though!
The mains selection was in my mind lacking. Seafood is more than just fish. There was no seafood platter or anything other than fish. Nice fish with salad and fries/polenta cake fries, but nothing seafood-wise we hadn’t had elsewhere in NZ, and no clams, oysters, prawns, crayfish, squid, octopus or crabs. Some of these things were available as an entree but weren’t on the mains menu. I think if you’re not going to do a lamb rack or thick porterhouse steak with prawns as a “reef and beef” (other options were vegetarian), an expensive ‘signature’ platter would be a good option - and I would have bought it!
The wine list was quite good and not all crazy prices.
Setting was nice in an old house, with indoor or outdoor options and a box of toys available for our toddler to play with whilst he waited for dinner.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

Location is good, in Riccarton, with nice space. Intriguing menu, I'll certainly be back to try several other dishes. Generous servings, and good quality food. Only complaint is they didn't bring the bill to the table, just said to pay at the till - all very well but what's hard about printing off a tally?

Reviewed 15 January 2018

Such a pretty place in the evenings.

the atmosphere was really relaxed and fitting to the overall look. food was great! tall blonde waitress was fantastic.

Reviewed 15 January 2018

I'd read about Dux Dine before arriving in Christchurch and without planning had managed to book a hotel just around the corner so naturally found ourselves here one evening for dinner.

Set on a rather busy road in to Christchurch Dux Dine is set back from the hustle and bustle and looks a little out of place amongst the bars and motels on the street.

Seated quickly we were greeted with a smile by our server and offered drinks. I opted for a Dux larger which I can only presume was brewed by the owners especially for the restaurant. Our waitress was extremely friendly and chatty and was happy to explain parts of the menu as needed which was great, unfortunately I didn't catch her name to give her the praise she deserved.

The restaurant is quite spacious and has a lovely rear garden seating area which I'm sure is great for breakfast on a warm summers morning. The menu is not very long but has a good selection of dishes of locally sourced meats, fishes and vegetables. I opted for the Crispy tofu red curry which was actually amazing and packed with flavour and vegetables whilst my wife had a fish dish cooked in a cuban style. For dessert we opted to share a 'oops I dropped the pav' which was basically a Eton mess or as some like to now call it ' a deconstructed pavlova'.

The food and service was good and the prices are not too bad. One thing i did find weird was the staff member sat at the table next to us (think he was kitchen staff) woofing down his food whilst playing on his phone in the middle of the restaurant. Whilst I know that staff need to have breaks and eat I'm not sure the message was right having him slurp down his food quickly in front of paying guests.

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Ate here whilst spending a day in Christchurch and staying nearby. A lovely
spot to start the day with breakfast. Lovely interior and garden for a fine day, plus ncie staff. I’m sure it would have been nice for dinner aswell.