“**WARNING** DON'T RISK FOOD POISONING”
Review of Cafe Valentino

Cafe Valentino
Ranked #48 of 1,225 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Benvenuti. Since 1991 Cafe Valentino has been one of Christchurch's favourite dining and drinking destinations, and it's easy to see why. Cafe Valentino offers superb food, an excellent bar and great atmosphere! Lunch at 3.00? Dinner at 9.00? No problem! Café Valentino is an all day restaurant. Enjoy a drink at the bar choosing from more than 35 selected wines by the glass, a superb range of local boutique beers and international beers on tap including an Italian selection. Or try a cocktail from our contemporary and classic mix. If you are a wine connoisseur try a wine from our 'Vault' collection which offers over 60 of New Zealand and Australia's finest wines including a great selection of our world famous Pinot Noir. Thirst quenched? Time for some great food! Try a pizza, the sort of pizza that only an Italian wood fired oven can produce, or try something from our pasta selection. Or perhaps one of our award winning New Zealand beef and lamb dishes. Since 1997 (except for 2012 when we were destroyed by an earthquake) Cafe Valentino has been awarded the coveted Gold Plate for New Zealand Beef and Lamb excellence. Finish off your meal with one of our delicious desserts, everything is made fresh daily on the premises. Our full menu is available on our website. We look forward to seeing you soon at Cafe Valentino. Ci Vediamo Presto
Reviewed 28 June 2023

WARNING DON'T RISK FOOD POISONING my Wife is a fully qualified registered dietitian and we told the staff that she was pregnant. We both got sick from dinner, my wife knew exactly what meal caused it. Will will NEVER BE GOING BACK. New owner who is clearly only interested in profit, made a complaint and they did not care.

3  Thank Daniel S

Reviewed 24 June 2023 via mobile

Dropped in for a snack this evening, big fans of the garlic/parmesan flat bread and chips. Added the lamb ribs starter to the snack and wow they were fantastic. Compliments to the chef, great little dish, perfectly cooked lamb, an awesome starter.

Reviewed 23 June 2023

Popped in after a night out, as it smelled so good from outside. Service was pretty good, not initially, to be seated we weren't greeted at all by the Maitre D, but the waitresses themselves were great and attentive. A nice restaurant inside, with a good cheerful vibe. I had the Fettucine Apollo and it was tasty, but I could have made it better. I'm not Italian, and neither was the Asian chef. The chicken and bacon were both cut in cubes which made it seem very bulk manufactured rather than more natural and filled with love. My daughter had the Mushroom Raviolli which she loved. It was super filling and very mushroomy. Nice to be given Chilli flakes and parmesan to add to taste too.
The wait staff were attentive and did well.
Overall a nice meal and atmosphere.

1  Thank Stephanie L
Reviewed 5 February 2023 via mobile

Went with friends. We were greeted by pleasant staff and seated. Had drink order received quickly as it was a hot night in chch. I ordered the lamb kidney dish. I am a bit of a offal freak - blame my mum for that, she was good at low cost, tasty meals
I would have expected it to be ‘ cooked to order’ but sadly it was dispatched from the Bain Marie, I should asked the wait person.
You know, it’s not difficult dish to knock out and with 4 in the kitchen- plenty of cooks and a half full dinning room. Maybe with staff shortage they are taking short cuts?
It does not pay in the long term ! We ,the people are not silly.
My friend had the Cesear salad- the egg was hard poached and not runny yoke as it’s supposed to be. Was the crime of the night.
Just feel standards are slipping. I mean , all the ingredients were there but slack execution. It’s a difficult business but very rewarding if you get it right. Don’t just go thru the motions : show some love!
I cannot recommend the dish I had but go try yourself

Date of visit: February 2023
1  Thank Horotane
Reviewed 11 December 2022

I have just returned from dinner and i am really fed up. I have been going here for many years but notice over the last few months the deterioration in the service. 4.30pm for a drink at the bar. I presume it is self service, but even so with all the staff standing around surly one could look up and acknowledge us and say hello and offer a wine menu. nope. we go up and order ourselves. asking for a water it is dumped at the table with the word "'cheers'. we decide to eat so find ourselves a window table. A waitress walks past and asks if we booked. replied no and then as if put out she says 'well your lucky that we have a space"'. I giggled as I know for a fact after many visits that its not busy that time of a sunday night. We ordered our meal from a lovely girl and it came out as always absolutely superb. My husband finished but i was still eating. The server came up and said are you finished, which shocked me as my fork was halfway up to my mouth. I replied no and ate 3 more mouthfuls. I literally put my fork to the plate and the next second it was taken from me. Im all for not leaving the plates for ages, but for goodness sake cant staff learn table etiquette. Ever since I no longer see the owner there the service has gone to the pack. Keep the chefs but please train the staff. I love this place but if this carries on I would prefer to gobble my food and get chucked out of somewhere else.

Date of visit: December 2022