“Anniversary dinner”

Cafe Valentino
Ranked #49 of 1,221 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Benvenuti. Since 1991 Cafe Valentino has been one of Christchurch's favourite dining and drinking destinations, and it's easy to see why. Cafe Valentino offers superb food, an excellent bar and great atmosphere! Lunch at 3.00? Dinner at 9.00? No problem! Café Valentino is an all day restaurant. Enjoy a drink at the bar choosing from more than 35 selected wines by the glass, a superb range of local boutique beers and international beers on tap including an Italian selection. Or try a cocktail from our contemporary and classic mix. If you are a wine connoisseur try a wine from our 'Vault' collection which offers over 60 of New Zealand and Australia's finest wines including a great selection of our world famous Pinot Noir. Thirst quenched? Time for some great food! Try a pizza, the sort of pizza that only an Italian wood fired oven can produce, or try something from our pasta selection. Or perhaps one of our award winning New Zealand beef and lamb dishes. Since 1997 (except for 2012 when we were destroyed by an earthquake) Cafe Valentino has been awarded the coveted Gold Plate for New Zealand Beef and Lamb excellence. Finish off your meal with one of our delicious desserts, everything is made fresh daily on the premises. Our full menu is available on our website. We look forward to seeing you soon at Cafe Valentino. Ci Vediamo Presto
Reviewed 9 May 2019 via mobile

My partner surprised me to our anniversary dinner out at Valentino's as it was one of my favourite place for steaks!! I know, I know I'm going to an Italian for steak!! 😜

I first encountered my favorite steak there at their old premise in Colombo Street.

We had it again a few times at the new location, but everytime we had it they had made a few changes..

But last night we were there again and of course I had my usual!!

Steak dish was absolutely beautifully presented and steak was lovely, only thing was that it was cooked as a medium rather than a med-rare (which I aksed)... normally I'd sent it back, but it was a nice piece of tender meat so I was fine with it.
The highlight this time was actually the mushrooms!! Sweet juicy and had a nice amount of butter in it.

The red wine jus was maybe slightly on the saltier side, again a little different from previous visit, where it was rich but a little velvety an sweet taste which I enjoyed!!

Service was not too bad! Every now and then a little check up on to see how the meal was or if we would like anything would have been great, my partner had to ask for a dessert menu.

It may have sound like I have made more of a complaint than a review, but what I am trying to give is room for improvement.

This place is busy already I know but to make that little improvement in those areas I mentioned would make this place even better!!

I have to say service has improved from when we first visited when they opened at this new location.

The waiting staff before used to argue back when we noted they gave us the wrong orders..

I hope to return back and see more improvement..

Well done team cafe Valentino!

Reviewed 9 May 2019 via mobile

Having just got back from South America I'd almost forgotten how average we are at service in this country. This is an iconic and super consistent restaurant which is why I went with my father in law last night.

As expected the food was very good but let down by "typical" NZ service. We were asked to order before we'd read half the menu (let alone the wine list). The woman who served us had no idea what was on the menu (we had to point to each dish as the Italian was beyond her grasp). My wine was oxidised but I couldn't get her attention to get it replaced. Just bloody average.

On the bright side my veal was delicious and my son loved his lamb

2  Thank Rob H
Reviewed 5 May 2019 via mobile

Yet another pleasant trip for dinner, this time with extended family. Went on Sunday and was quiet as expected. Wait staff friendly and not over bearing. Brought kids menus straight away. Saw high chairs available to another group which was good. Food very nice as always. Thanks

1  Thank Herbie15
Reviewed 26 April 2019

We were craving Italian - the creamy, oozy, delicious type and this is exactly what we got! My pasta with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes in a creamy sauce was beautiful but the mash that my husband got with his kidney dish was insanely good!!!!!! If a could just order a plate of this I would, can't wait to go again!

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank Pickle251
Reviewed 14 April 2019

The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. The awesome ambience of this restaurant coupled with the perfect meal, made this a very enjoyable experience and I highly recommend this venue for a great meal.

Date of visit: April 2019