All reviews studio apartment communal kitchen kettle and toaster countdown supermarket small kitchenette short walk great shower double bed within walking distance car parking short stay city centre one night stay the ground floor three nights south island southbank
Reviewed 27 September 2014

My family and I arrived at 1am from a flight from overseas, well after the reception had closed. We advised that in our booked and received clear instructions on how to access the reception and our room.

It was seamless for us and we found our room to be a higher quality than we expected for a ver reasonable price. We had a 2 bedroom apartment. Room was very clean, modern and new.

As with many hotels in Christchurch next door seems to be a building site, but we have no issues with that knowing the sad recent history of this lovely town.

All in all, very happy with our choice to stay here.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank AngiePx
Reviewed 16 September 2014

My husband and I stayed at Southwark Apartments for one night on our recent trip to New Zealand. We found the service great and our room was perfect for what we needed. It was both clean and modern, and in perfect walking location to the center of Christchurch where the rebuild of the city appears to be in full swing.

Date of stay: September 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2014

I booked last minute after winning concert tickets and my main criteria for choosing Southward Apartments were price (less than $100) and location (close to central city). Check in was a breeze, taking only about 2 minutes, and the room was easy to find on the ground floor. The room was very small - the exact width of the bed with no room at either end - but clean and had all the usual amenities, including a kitchenette. The bathroom was equally small but very clean. Sleep quality wasn't great due to the thin walls but overall I think the rate was reasonable for what I got. The free Wifi was a bonus!

Room tip: There are no elevators so people with difficulty walking may prefer a ground floor option. Parking is not a problem and even if the car park is full there are many parking lots nearby charging as little as $4/day
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah K
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Room was comfortable and well appointed, I guess that's the main bit! Staff didn't really make an effort to be friendly, but that may have been to do with the language barrier?? No parking was included with the room and we did not find this out until check in. This could be our own fault - everywhere we've stayed before just included it, so we didn't think to ask!

This is a central city location, so there was a fair bit of traffic noise too.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank teedotron
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The room is fairly small but it was good for a rest overnight. It is close to the Central Business District of Christchurch. I would recommend booking parking as we never but were lucky that we had a space to park. The rate for paying to park is more expensive than the hotel charge with the extra risk of there being no spaces. The hotel offers free wifi in the room, I have not found this again in my travels around the South Island. I would recommend a stay here.

Date of stay: August 2014