“I would avoid”

Ranked #34 of 1,224 Restaurants in Christchurch
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Thai
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: King of Snake offers the best of Euro-Asian cuisine in a stunning 5-star contemporary setting. Enjoy the panoramic view over Cashel Mall, the Bridge of Remembrance, and the willow tree lined banks of the Avon River. Whether you want a full a la carte dining experience, cocktails and nibbles at the bar or simply a cold beer on the deck, King of Snake is sure to delight.
Reviewed 26 November 2023 via mobile

Probably the most mediocre experience since we arrived in New Zealand
Server seemed to avoid us as if we were an old boyfriend she didn’t want to see.
Had to chase her just to get a ginger beer
Food service was excruciatingly slow
Not sure why it took 15 minutes for a cold spinach wrap but the people seated after us got their full meal including fries before our cold entree came
Duck was quite good albeit sweet
Spinach wraps very ordinary
String beans undercooked. More like a raw dish
They doled out water as if it was a rare commodity.

At best average

We would have been better off in the food court below

Oh we were told we couldn’t sit outside because they were fully booked an hour later 50% of the tables outside unoccupied

Date of visit: November 2023
1  Thank tbchunter

Reviewed 14 November 2023 via mobile

Consistently good every single time!
Food is awesome.
Only thing would be the service is sometimes a bit hit and miss.
But all in all some of the best food in Christchurch!

Date of visit: November 2023
Reviewed 26 October 2023 via mobile

A really good option for dinner , service was very good, and the food was top notch . I’d go as far as saying it was one the best Penang curries Ive ever had .
Would highly recommend for an Asian fusion dinner

Date of visit: October 2023
Reviewed 23 October 2023

The food was disappointing for a restaurant of this calibre. Prawns were not cooked. Flavors were not palatable. Wines from supermarket brands. Overall a waste of money.

Date of visit: October 2023
David Warring Jnr, Owner at King of Snake, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2023

Dear Explore67279336234,

We are very shocked and surprised to see your review! Our last review before you was five stars and very detailed in their feedback.

We take all feedback from our customers very seriously and this review obviously concerns us! Can you please help us assess what could have possibly gone wrong here by providing the date and time of your booking?

We are confused by your comments on the wine list and also your comments around your experience of us in light of our “calibre”. We also note that this is your first contribution on trip advisor so you must have felt very motivated to provide this review. For that reason, we would really appreciate hearing more from you.

Please email us at manager@kingofsnake.co.nz and let us know when you were in and as much detail as possible. We would love the opportunity to understand what went wrong here and what we can do to put it right.

Reviewed 18 October 2023

I really should have written this review before now, but following a very recent poor experience at another restaurant (and review here on TA) I realised that I had forgotten to pay compliments to a place which deserved much more than a mere mention, so I’ll try to make amends.

I have been here twice now, and both times I (we) were absolutely wowed by the food, and, well, everything.
Being such a while back, I cannot exactly recall all the meals which were served to us, however I do know that we went with the recommendation of the waitress on one occasion, and had the “trust the chef” option. The review here is a combination of both experiences, both of which were absolutely memorable.

The place was packed, and rightly so. That said, our meals came out quickly and the service was exemplary. The young ladies who served us were dressed very appropriately and were friendly and they knew everything about the food, which is a must in my opinion. This is at odds to a very recent encounter at another venue, where one of the waiters (waitress?) was obviously male, but had long pointed multi-coloured manicured nails and girly earrings, which, call me old fashioned, made me cringe. This isn’t at all a personal attack, but I just found it so inappropriate and quite creepy. I digress.

As you walk in to the King Of Snake, the opulent décor is so impressive it takes your breath a little. Expansive use of marble and mirrored tiling, and the huge antique wooden doors make for a very opulent feel. One of these wooden doors leads to the Monarch cocktail lounge, which has its own unique feel to it, being separate to the seated restaurant but yet still attached enough to have easy access and flow, should you wish to arrive early and wait for your table to become available, else recline and relax following your dining experience. The drinks are a bit on the expensive side, but wow is it worth it!

Back to the restaurant itself. I am quite the avid meat-eater, and I usually prefer any meat option over that of a fish dish. So, when I saw two fish dishes arrive to the table, I was a little disappointed if I might say. However, “hold my beer” say’s the King Of Snake!

One of the fish dishes was the Marinated Blue Fin Tuna, the other being a Shashimi of fresh market fish etc. On trying these I was blown away. The taste was to die for. It took me right back to a remote Fijian island a good few years ago where my wife and I celebrated a wonderful anniversary. Seriously, the experience was that good. In fact I vowed that whenever I return to this restaurant, I would forgo any meat option, and replace it with exactly these two wonderful fish dishes.
But there’s a problem. I tried the Venison Carpaccio. It too blew me away. Oh the dilemma. But then why choose either when you can have both?

When the meal came to an end we were all absolutely satisfied in every way. The portions were very ample, and the quality if you haven’t already guessed, was stupendous. The staff were just wonderful, and of course a mention to the chef and kitchen staff who are indeed the faceless hero’s behind the scene. In a few words, they really know their stuff.

When we have overseas visitors, we always like to take them to the best restaurant’s we know of, as a sort of treat, but also to show them just what Canterbury has to offer, and I have to say, the King Of Snake is our new go-to place when we want people to be impressed with this wonderful city of ours.

Date of visit: October 2022
David Warring Jnr, Owner at King of Snake, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2023

Thank you for your amazing review, Kevin. We really appreciate the time and effort you took to write this. We work very hard to try and please each and every visitor to King of Snake. Your feedback means a lot to the entire team!