Lowest prices for your stay
$152
Hotels.com
$152
Pieter S
Nelson, New Zealand

Nice to visit again

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 9 Jun 2020via mobile
This was our first hotel on our first trip after lockdown. It wasn’t very busy so were happy to come and support them. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony. Free bottled water and chocolate with our membership. Excellent room. Beautiful gardens. No complaints.
Date of stay: June 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
  • CrownePlaza.com
    $179
2.7 km from Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton
View more hotels in Christchurch
1,724 results
All reviews hagley park double tree botanical gardens city centre new zealand lovely hotel duty manager buffet breakfast bit dated the ground floor stayed here for one night south island nz
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 June 2020

Having stayed here before, I spotted a super deal just on the brink of travel resumptions after Covid and basically got the big suite at the same price as usually a standard King. I was really happy to be back and appreciated the huge suite with the bubble bath and separate seating and dining area looking out over the cute little pool (unfortunately it was way too cold to use it this time around). I had a good time, even ate at the on site restaurant twice and generally was happy to being able to travel again, albeit only domestically.

The aircon made a rattling noise all night and the bed was not the most comfortable Hilton I've ever slept on (definitely cheap plastic filling in the doona and pillows instead of proper feather down filling- huge difference I find) but those are all only nittle niggles. The property itself was lovely as ever and staff particularly friendly this time as I'd guess they were all happy to be on the way back to normal and glad to still have a job after all this. So I was about to give this a 5 Star rating until...

I was silly enough to take an empty wine glass out of the cupboard. This suite has a fully equipped kitchen with a dishwasher even so I didn't think much of it until I held the glass against the light. Oh my good lord! After all the hygiene blurb and the plastic dividers at reception and yet another blurb in the room about life after Covid and then THAT: The glass had the DNA of at least 15 people on it, plus lip stick stains, finger prints all over, I kid you not. Housekeeping comes in full Hazmat gear to clean the room but then don't notice the dirty dishes in the cupboard??? I don't even know how that can be in a room with a dishwasher! I then checked the next glass, not quite that bad but also not dishwasher cleaned and still finger prints visible. Third wine glass in a row then finally looked clean-ish but how would I know?

Really shameful Hilton, really really bad after all those spammy emails about how safe it is to stay in one of your properties. If you can't even check the glassware in the rooms, what am I going to think about anything else to do with hygiene measures in your properties? I mentioned the issue at checkout and the lady was just "Oh, I will check with Housekeeping". So that's like you're reporting a suspected crime with the police and they tell you "Oh, we check with the criminal..." so it will go. No. Frigging. Where. You can bet on that!

Date of stay: May 2020
4  Thank sydneyberlin
Reviewed 18 May 2020

Here you can appreciate a quiet setting in a residential area that is within two blocks of major roads. You are across the street from a large public park and have an easy walk to restaurants, shops, and public transport. Even the city center is walk-able if you have the time, (it's directly on the other side of Hagley Park) the city terrain is very flat, which is great for bicycle rentals.

As a Hilton Diamond member, I received a central garden view room with separate bathtub/shower and a balcony, plenty of drink vouchers (no official executive lounge), and the full buffet breakfast with lots of hot options energized me for a day of sightseeing. Unfortunately, the pool was closed as it was the end of winter. I would recommend unless you absolutely must stay right in the CBD.

Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed 25 April 2020

During the Covid-19 Level 4 lockdown, we required emergency overnight accommodation. I found out that Chateau on the Park had some rooms available via a Christchurch Info site as most hotels/motels were closed.
I received amazing help from David (Hotel Manager) as well as the other staff we interacted with.
Chateau on the Park has been in Christchurch for a long time and is a very good and safe hotel. Great for conferences (from a previous visit). Rooms were modern, clean and tidy in a very spacious environment.

I couldn't speak more highly of the staff.

Room tip: Our room was exactly the same as the photo on the website.
Date of stay: April 2020
2  Thank Rog4NewZealand
Reviewed 15 April 2020

While in lockdown in New Zealand we stayed here for two weeks. All the hotel staff were very helpfulll and polite. The food was good and served to our room at no extra charge. Indeed the hotel helped out with the costs by reducing the room rate and giving a discount on all food and drink.

Room tip: Rooms on 2nd and 3rd floor have balcony
Date of stay: March 2020
Reviewed 14 April 2020

We were stuck here during Lock Down for 3 weeks the hotel and ALL the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. We were up graded 3 times during our stay and our final room was a garden room with patio doors and outside seating right near the hotel garden. There were about 40 guests mostly Brits and they could not do enough for us all. The room rate was reduced and a discount was given off room service food as the restaurant was closed. Beds and towels were changed often with little cheery notes left by the staff for you. Jason and the kitchen staff were excellent offering daily specials for dinner, they even did a quiz for a few days. The hotel is opposite a beautiful 200 acre park with the Mona Vale park around the corner which was very pretty with the River Avon running through the middle. All in all we could not have had a better place to stay during Lock Down. Thank You to all the staff.

Room tip: A Garden Room with patio doors
Date of stay: March 2020
David W, General Manager at Chateau on the Park - Christchurch, a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2020

Dear beadygirl2018 ,

Thank you very much for taking a few minutes to share your experience with your fellow travelers. I know that there is so much going on in the world right now and I sincerely appreciate your very kind words about your time as our guest. I am so pleased that despite the challenges we have all had to deal with you still enjoyed a wonderful visit.

Jason is very special and truly loves taking care of our guests. We are very fortunate to have him as our F&B Manager with Chateau on the Park Christchurch.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back once the world starts travelling again.

Regards,