“Disappointing - Attitude patronising”
Review of Belle

Belle
Ranked #488 of 1,196 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$3 - US$18
Description: We are a funky micro roastery & cafe in Christchurch! Open 7 days serving fresh onsite roasted coffee, offering brunch and lunch by way of menu & cabinet in a funky personable environment! Our tag line is "COFFEE FOOD PEOPLE" sum's it up really. We look forward to welcoming YOU!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We came for breakfast. Husband ordered full breakfast with pork sausages. What came were were very spicy and he said they did not mention this. The young man just kept repeating in a sarcastic voice that they were pork sausages. Not all of us like or can eat spicy sausages. He eventually agreed to sub some bacon. He just need to say i am sorry and we'd have left it at that. But his patronizing attitude upset us.
I had poached egg on toast and I have to say they were some of the tiniest eggs I have had in a long time ..all in all a disappointing experience.

Its no fun having dietary difficulties and all the lovely things we have to give up, but being patronized is worse...

Date of visit: February 2021
Belle (cafe, chch NZ), Owner at Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 4 days ago

Hello!

It is the owner here (the young man who you dealt with). I am really sorry to read this - we do appreciate all reviews and don't usually push back on the odd negative one however this is off and it is important to give the other side of the review / story here.

Your husband yelled across the cafe in an aggressive tone to get my attention. The café was busy - it was very disruptive and public. At first I thought he was joking around and when I learnt he was being serious I was shocked. I had never experienced this kind of behavior from a guest. It was extreme.

When I got to the table he was angry and not shy at displaying this - I was trying to calm the situation. He was aggressive and I was just glad it was me dealing with this and not one of my staff.

I immediately noted that they were pork sausages (because they were) and yes, we use a spicier pork sausage. I noted I am sorry he didn't like them as immediately asked what we can do to correct the situation for him. Although I was trying to find the solution, his state of anger continued.

I immediately offered money back, a replacement dish, extra something else..... he agreed extra bacon would be ok.

It was a really awkward situation. We love people. We value people and we take our industry (hospitality) seriously. Our many reviews across multiple platforms coupled with our regular custom base backs this up.

Our mission and vision statement notes "to be the best cafe humanly possible" humanly being the key word - we are sorry we could not please you and you felt patronized - that was certainly not the intention and if this same situation occurred again I would handle it in the same manor.

Regarding the eggs, we use a local free range supplier and use a size 7 egg.

Regarding your dietary requirements - we cater for all requirements and if our guests let us know these requirements we can ensure we meet these requirements. We can't read peoples minds as to what their requirements are.

And finally - as I said to your husband that although we had that sausage on the dish for over a year with positive feedback if any, that I did appreciate his feedback and I would take it on board and speak with my chef.

After consultation we changed the sausage to a non spicy one. I do recognize that some guests may have shared the same thinking but had never voiced it.

All in all, I wish you guys well and I am sorry to read your review here and again, I do feel it is fair to provide the other side of the review / story given the above.

Write a reviewReviews (11)

Reviewed 25 November 2020

We were only in Christchurch for a few days but managed to come to this wee gem several times. Food-wise, the chicken filo was to die for but I was even more impressed by the engaged, focused, passionate staff. It is amazing to me when you actually get a fabulous dining experience as a result of staff who are truly committed to the concept of “hospitality”. Colour me impressed. Definitely a must-visit!

Date of visit: November 2020

Thanks so much =-)!

Reviewed 22 November 2020

I went to Belle Cafe on a very hot day over Show Weekend and it was such a nice place to escape to. The service was wonderful. I was made to feel so welcome by the lovely young women serving and the coffee is beautiful. I also had a bacon & egg tartlet with a small side salad. Delicious! And I couldn't resist having a slice of cheesecake and taking home a piece of ginger crunch.

Date of visit: November 2020

Thanks!

Reviewed 22 October 2020 via mobile

Came here for brunch after seeing reviews and we also gave it 5 stars. Great coffee, lovely menu. I had the smashed avo witj poached egg and hubby had poached eggs with bacon. All very nice. Lovely service

Date of visit: October 2020

Thank you!!

Reviewed 2 September 2020 via mobile

We came here twice for breakfast and were very impressed with the breakfasts and coffee. Great muffins and scones in the cabinet and generously sized delicious cooked breakfasts too. Close to Margaret Mahy Playground and right beside the tramline. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: September 2020