“American look..... not American taste. Don’t come!”
Review of Diner 66

Diner 66
Ranked #477 of 1,132 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$8 - US$21
Description: Get your kicks at Diner 66!!! Authentic American Diner serving an all-day menu from 7am till late Tuesday - Friday and 8am Saturday & Sunday, legendary shakes, soda's, specialty desserts and MORE!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Where do I begin.
It first started with walking in to a half empty restaurant and asking if we had a booking. Then told we can only sit up at the bar area with our young child. Note- all those empty tables were still empty when we left. Let me dot point the rest-
* philly cheese steak - not a philly cheese steak. More like chuck steak diced up and thrown on a roll. No fried onion however it was an onion jam that was horrible. Caps not cooked and put on the sandwich raw. Cooks needs more education on what a philly cheese steak is.
* two appetisers - southern fried chicken and Mac and cheese balls. Chicken was tasteless and with all that crispy crumbs, you would think it had some taste but it did not. Mac and cheese balls- was just pasta with crumbs on it. No cheese and again, no taste.
*miss leading menu - says two appetisers for $18. Turns out that’s not the case. It’s two serves of one dish for $18. That’s not how the menu reads. Found that out when we got the bill.
Rubbish place. It is poor attempt of American food that doesn’t even come close to hitting the mark. Go elsewhere!!!
(Milkshake was good)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

After reading the reviews I was not sure how lunch would be but really wanted to try this place as it looks so cool. I can only think they had teething issues when they first opened as the food and service was first class.

We were seated quickly and the menu has some great choices all classic American dinner food.

When the food arrived I was really pleased with the portion size which is large and the flavour of the burger was great. This is as good a burger I have had anywhere in the states.

We were checked for food and refills and everyone around was also served quickly and checked to make sure they were enjoying their meal.

Can’t wait to come back and try something else.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

We walked in on a Saturday for lunch but were told it was fully booked even though there were a lot of tables empty. We tried to book for Sunday but again told by confused looking staff who had to check several times that it was also fully booked, so we booked for the following Saturday. I rang to check my booking on the day, only to be told by a male staff member he couldn't find me. After repeating my name a few times he finally found my booking. We arrived and were shown to a seat with a dirty rag flung over the back of our seat and food still sitting on the top of it. We were looking around for staff to acknowledge the fact the rag was there but they seemed to be just standing behind the counter talking. After a while someone came and got the rag but left the food on the back of the seat. Just like the week before, we noticed confusion with the staff and the booking system. People are getting turned away even though there are many free tables. The system is not being managed properly and the staff obviously haven't been trained properly and don't understand the system. This should be a walk in restaurant to save the confusion between staff and customers who get turned away. When the food came out it was lukewarm and no one checked on us for the entirety of the meal, so therefore our bottomless coffee was not refilled at all! Even the most basic American diners get that right. I am picking the owner has not sat down and just watched their staff at all, they should get a mystery diner in to report back to them or organise some serious training for the staff. They did not seem to work cohesively at all. The food itself was average tasting, lukewarm and not presented well. McDonald's and Burger King operate better. The coleslaw that comes with a few different meals is in small egg sized bowl and is quite frankly....awful. The portions are too large and I envisage a lot of food wastage. Just because it is supposed to be an American themed experience doesn't mean they have to raise the obesity rates of New Zealanders to match Americans.
The only positive was the decor.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

Great decor. The food was OK but would not rave about it, the buttermilk chicken was the hero on the night. Service was OK a bit slow and towards then end as we were finishing up our drinks felt very pressured by the waitress to leave & free up the table. Would not rush to go back.

Reviewed 7 May 2018

loved this. Full of fun & character. We ordered more than we needed but loved it all. Great place for a fun vibe.