“Fantastic, can't wait to go back! ”
Review of Sister Kong

Sister Kong
Ranked #373 of 1,129 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Description: Inspired by Hong Kong street food, ancient alley Sake bars and the spirit of late-night Chinatown cocktail bars in New York.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Am so surprised at some of the reviews saying overpriced or didn't taste great, I thought Sister Kong was awesome and for someone who has eaten in over 50 countries around the world I don't review things lightly. I thought the price was great, $12-14 for a Bao Burger, they were delicious, we had the pork belly and the wagyu beef, both amazing with fried chicken wings and loaded fries on the side, loved the truffle oil flavour in the mayo. We were stuffed between the two of us, thought the service and atmosphere was great, love the decor, we went early as we had a movie to go to so can't comment on what a Friday night rush hour would be like but honestly I am wanting to go back tomorrow night and take our kids! Definitely a new favourite for us in chch.

1  Thank noushymoo

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were promptly seated and served. Food delivery was prompt even though it was reasonably busy. Ordered the truffle loaded fries which arrived first. Whilst enjoyable, the menu description promised more than what was delivered and for $10 we expected more in terms of quantity. We also ordered the selection of mini bao and the five spice beef brisket bao gluten free (served in lettuce cup). The bao were light and fluffy and the meat was flavoursome but lacking a little in spice. The gluten free option was enjoyable but would need to eat 3 of them to consider it a lunch portion. Overall enjoyable but lacking a little punch and perhaps slightly overpriced.

Reviewed 19 April 2018

They are usually booked up on Friday but we fluked it. Service was a little slow even though it was a quiet night, and the water when served was warm. The Pork and Chive dumplings were the worst I have eaten in Christchurch for a while, not enough pork and too much chive. The Shu mai was ok but lacking in flavor. Next we had the Sesame Satay wontons which also missed the mark with flavor and lacked filling. The best was the Confit Duck Leg Bao which although seemed over cooked and dry was very tasty. With a bottle of wine the bill came to $111.00 which I thought was a bit excessive for a cheap and cheerful. Need to get it right if wish to succeed in Victoria St.

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

Fabulous food, I was not sure when ordering that I would like my meal as I'm not a huge Asian food fan, but boy was I blown away when the food came out we all got a bit of everything and mixed and mashed between the 6 of us. The service was faultless as soon as your glass was empty he was over asking if you needed another. Place was packed for a Tuesday night. The wagyu burger was my highlight.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Ordered two bao and dumplings delivered. Dumplings were average but not bad, chicken bao was mediocre and twice cooked pork was horrible-excessively salty and almost rancid tasting it was so fatty. There was nothing acidic or contrasting to cut through the taste. A poorly designed and excecuted dish. As an establishment seems like all style and no substance. Will certainly not be returning or trying the dumpling bar run by the same people.