“Food and service were both excellent”

Francesca's Italian Kitchen
Ranked #43 of 1,219 Restaurants in Christchurch
Reviewed 26 February 2024

We arrived early for our reservation and were welcomed and accommodated. I am a coeliac so was super excited to see they offered gluten free pizza based and gluten free pasta. The waiter was very helpful and informative. When the food arrived it was generous and delicious and it felt like the staff went out of their way to look after us.

Date of visit: February 2024

Reviewed 22 February 2024

Service was super slow, ordered the squid ink seafood pasta, and it came with three clams, three shrimp and two green lip muscles. One of my clams had no meat in it and there was no meat in the sauce. There were three shrimp heads in the dish as well, but there was zero meat in the shrimp heads. Not sure why they even put them in there. And the pasta was undercooked. My husband ordered the same entrée and he had two green lip muscles and three clams but only one muscle had meat in it. Everything else was gone and they were not in the sauce. Do not go to this Italian restaurant if you really like good Italian food.

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank Martha E
Reviewed 31 January 2024 via mobile

We found this by chance after scooting past a pretty street and what a gem. The food was delicious with good vegetarian options for me and meaty options for my partner. Friendly staff and a lovely feel to the restaurant would thoroughly recommend

Date of visit: January 2024
Reviewed 21 December 2023

We had our staff Xmas party there last night and although the food was beautiful the staff and the service was not… we were constantly ignored and had to wait nearly 15 minutes to get served or greeted or even acknowledged! We were also given rude looks by the staff and it just felt like we were not welcome. They had 5 staff members sitting behind the bar talking amongst themselves and doing nothing while we were waiting to even get some water for the table! We weren’t a rowdy bunch and we were all polite so there was no reason for the animosity I felt we were given when we asked for some service and attention! Ive had this booked for months and was really excited to take the staff out for a good night out but the experience wasn’t enjoyable at all and I feel really let down and quite embarrassed. Safe to say I will not be going back there by any means. I couldn’t wait to get out there. So disappointing as again the food was wonderful so the let down was the staff working there.

Date of visit: December 2023
3  Thank Stay01623511127
Reviewed 18 December 2023 via mobile

All thanks to Dan and Alex for handling the evening well. Food is as always exceptional and service was great too. However, accidentally booked a table of 2 instead of 4, mentioning a birthday celebration.

Upon reaching, understood my mistake, fair enough. Manager Dan spoke and then he called in Sarah to handle. Insisted if she could arrange, as I’d my friends joining in shortly. To which her reply in a sarcastic tone was “ So should I give another guests table to you?”.

No M’am, all I expect as an answer is let me have a look into my bookings and see if I can do something for it. But no, this lady mentioned this very sentence thrice.

We come to Francesca’s to enjoy the food and amazing ambience and we do understand it is a busy restaurant. However, upon having a special occasion we choose your restaurant, you come with an answer as such without being grateful.

Finally it struck there’s a table at another timeslot, which was later confirmed. I appreciate for accommodating us, however such behaviour isn’t accommodating at all.

We still would love to come to Francesca, however would look forward for a more welcoming experience!!

Date of visit: December 2023