“Good selection, but sushi wasn't great”

Cookai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #376 of 1,225 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 November 2019

They had a large variety of sushi compared to the average Japanese restaurant and the sushi train format allows you to try a number of different types. Unfortunately, most of the sushi I had was mediocre at best. There was nothing seriously wrong with any of it, but the seafood sushi in particular didn't seem fresh and was practically flavorless. The only sushi type that really stood out was the seaweed and mushroom, which was quite nice. Cost-wise it was fairly standard - more than I would've liked given the quality, but certainly not unreasonable.

Overall, it was mildly disappointing but not truly terrible or anything. Given how many excellent Japanese restaurants there are in Christchurch, however, I wouldn't recommend coming here unless you really want the sushi train experience.

Date of visit: October 2019

Reviewed 17 June 2019

Some of the dishes on the Train were cold some people next to us said, as it was not very busy being a rainy night.
We ordered from the table and all was hot and delicious, in particular the Shishime and Tempura prawns. Good service and comfortable surroundings. Wine a little expensive

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed 4 April 2019 via mobile

Loved this place. I was only in Christchurch for a day, but this place is always open, is a running sushi place, delicious, good quality, good prices, fruit for dessert, free water and the staff was really nice! Can definitely recommend.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed 23 February 2019

I'd guess that on a day and at a time when Cookai is full of people that the items on the sushi train are taken and other items replace it. At a time when you're the only people there, it wasn't the same experience that I had the first time. Yes they have tuna and a lovely seared salmon, but I found a fairly large bone in my tuna nigiri. Many of the items looked like they had been on the rail for quite a while. It was pleasant, but I know they can do better. Perhaps they should give people more incentive to go there in groups so that items are consumed and fresh items put out. If you're hungry for sushi while in town, give it a go and see what you think. The beauty of a sushi train is you can eat as much or little as you want. Since we went for a birthday celebration, and had been there before, I was expecting a better and similar experience as I had last time.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 26 January 2019 via mobile

We though we would give this a go and quickly sat down, not many people there but in the sushi train setting that's probably a good thing. There were heaps of options on the train to choose from and the menus were not bad too. We went for garlic chicken wings and a chicken don dish off the menu. Both were pretty good to be honest and the chicken was cooked very well. Off the train I was quick to snap up some Pork and Prawn Dumplings (my new favourite) and some prawn cutlets. All food was excellent, unfortunately I had food envy after about 20 mins and should have gone outside my comfort zone and tried some tuna.

The staff were friendly and overall it was a great experience.

Date of visit: January 2019