“Very good sushi & experience ”

Cookai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #376 of 1,232 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2019 via mobile

Loved this place. I was only in Christchurch for a day, but this place is always open, is a running sushi place, delicious, good quality, good prices, fruit for dessert, free water and the staff was really nice! Can definitely recommend.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed 23 February 2019

I'd guess that on a day and at a time when Cookai is full of people that the items on the sushi train are taken and other items replace it. At a time when you're the only people there, it wasn't the same experience that I had the first time. Yes they have tuna and a lovely seared salmon, but I found a fairly large bone in my tuna nigiri. Many of the items looked like they had been on the rail for quite a while. It was pleasant, but I know they can do better. Perhaps they should give people more incentive to go there in groups so that items are consumed and fresh items put out. If you're hungry for sushi while in town, give it a go and see what you think. The beauty of a sushi train is you can eat as much or little as you want. Since we went for a birthday celebration, and had been there before, I was expecting a better and similar experience as I had last time.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed 26 January 2019 via mobile

We though we would give this a go and quickly sat down, not many people there but in the sushi train setting that's probably a good thing. There were heaps of options on the train to choose from and the menus were not bad too. We went for garlic chicken wings and a chicken don dish off the menu. Both were pretty good to be honest and the chicken was cooked very well. Off the train I was quick to snap up some Pork and Prawn Dumplings (my new favourite) and some prawn cutlets. All food was excellent, unfortunately I had food envy after about 20 mins and should have gone outside my comfort zone and tried some tuna.

The staff were friendly and overall it was a great experience.

Reviewed 13 January 2019

UP the stairs in the connection, is this kind of lacking ambience sushi-train with some al la carte. Service OK, sushi train selection OK. There was one salmon sashimi which was great but no more was on offer! Dont get the deep fried sushi roll that was an odd taste. Kind of left wondering if our al la carte orders would come but they did in the end. Maybe its a ploy to get hungry customers to eat more off the train? We had the steak tataki and prawn tempura which was good.

Reviewed 13 January 2019 via mobile

Atmosphere: This was at The Crossing location, not Nelson Street. Upstairs. Modern. Sushi Train which weaved through the tables.
Service: The waitress rushed through our seating and order. She walked away as I was still ordering, had to tell her wait. Short staffed. Not a good look.
Food: Beef Don, and Chicken Teriyaki Don, 2 x Garlic Chicken Wings, Ramen soup with Pork. All the food was very delicious, as is usual for Cookai. This was my first time at this location. In the waitress’s rush she only brought 1 x Garlic Chicken Wings, it came later.
Price: $72.50 for all. We also had a 3 piece sushi from the sushi train. Standard pricing in the city for Japanese food. Personally I think a little too pricy. The ramen soup was only half bowl size and the bowls aren’t the usual big sizes.