“Never been to a Sushi Train Restaurant ”

Cookai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #376 of 1,232 Restaurants in Christchurch
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2019 via mobile

We though we would give this a go and quickly sat down, not many people there but in the sushi train setting that's probably a good thing. There were heaps of options on the train to choose from and the menus were not bad too. We went for garlic chicken wings and a chicken don dish off the menu. Both were pretty good to be honest and the chicken was cooked very well. Off the train I was quick to snap up some Pork and Prawn Dumplings (my new favourite) and some prawn cutlets. All food was excellent, unfortunately I had food envy after about 20 mins and should have gone outside my comfort zone and tried some tuna.

The staff were friendly and overall it was a great experience.

Reviewed 13 January 2019

UP the stairs in the connection, is this kind of lacking ambience sushi-train with some al la carte. Service OK, sushi train selection OK. There was one salmon sashimi which was great but no more was on offer! Dont get the deep fried sushi roll that was an odd taste. Kind of left wondering if our al la carte orders would come but they did in the end. Maybe its a ploy to get hungry customers to eat more off the train? We had the steak tataki and prawn tempura which was good.

Reviewed 13 January 2019 via mobile

Atmosphere: This was at The Crossing location, not Nelson Street. Upstairs. Modern. Sushi Train which weaved through the tables.
Service: The waitress rushed through our seating and order. She walked away as I was still ordering, had to tell her wait. Short staffed. Not a good look.
Food: Beef Don, and Chicken Teriyaki Don, 2 x Garlic Chicken Wings, Ramen soup with Pork. All the food was very delicious, as is usual for Cookai. This was my first time at this location. In the waitress’s rush she only brought 1 x Garlic Chicken Wings, it came later.
Price: $72.50 for all. We also had a 3 piece sushi from the sushi train. Standard pricing in the city for Japanese food. Personally I think a little too pricy. The ramen soup was only half bowl size and the bowls aren’t the usual big sizes.

Reviewed 12 January 2019 via mobile

We used to love this restaurant however since they became a sushi train they’re overpriced and disappointing! Good super expensive, average And underwhelming flavors and sushi options!!! It appears as though they’re just appealing to the tourists now and don’t care much about the locals. Such a shame.

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

Cookai have opened a Sushi train in The Crossing. I have been eating at Cookai in their numerous locations around Christchurch over the years so was very excited to hear they were starting a sushi train. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. We waited and waited for good sushi to come around but it was few and far between. What did come around was very standard and simple and nothing looked too exciting. So we ordered off the menu. 2nd visit we hoped for an improvement but once again not much going around. The beauty of a sushi train is you can see what looks nice and inevitably take more than you ideally want but it is hard to resist when it looks so nice. Rather than wait we ended up ordering a Japanese curry which was good. I have still given a good rating as the food off the menu is good and I am sure they will start putting more sushi on the train....I hope! I will keep coming back as I enjoy the sushi train concept.

Date of visit: October 2018