Lowest prices for your stay
$154
Barbara S

Rudest Motel Owner ever!

Review of Cherylea Motel
2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 26 May 2023
I can only reiterate what others have said, The owner/manager of this Motel should seriously re-think his place in the hospitality industry. He was rude, off-hand, and we will never stay here again. The room was clean and tidy (thanks to the cleaners) but that is the only positive thing I can say about our stay here. There are many Motel options in Blenheim - we urge you to look at alternatives.
Date of stay: April 2023
Room Tip: Don't come here!
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    $158
    $165
1.4 km from Cherylea Motel
Free parking
Executive Air Conditioned King Spa Studio Unit -  Full kitchenette offering microwave, stove top, tea & coffee making facilities, dining table & chairs. Our units are serviced daily and really are your home away from home Free WIFI and 43" Smart TV offering 21 freeview channels and streaming
$215
    $93
1.8 km from Cherylea Motel
Pool
View more hotels in Blenheim
All reviews stayed here comfortable bed unit motel kitchen nz heater
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 April 2023

Checked the room beforehand and wasn't boked what was asked for. Then when corrected gave us the room closest to main road, out of spite. Excessive road noise from trucks. Not double glazed. Additional issues:
- No tables in living area or bedrooms.
- Wifi is poor and a dead spot fir mobile data.
- No sky movie channels work.
- Shower is weak.
- Infested with ants all over kitchen benches.
- No cleaning service on our first day here despite being advertised. When cleaner came around just replaced towels and nothing more.
- Laundry facility was extremely expensive at $9 for one load washed and dried!
Worst thing is the tall older gentleman who owns the place is incredibly rude, un-comunicative and seemed grumpy and put out by any small requests or question. When asked a question he would grumble incoherently and walk away leaving you wondering if he had actually heard you.
No doubt they will respond to this review with excuses, but believe me this place needs serious improvement.

Room tip: Avoid. Don't stay here.
Date of stay: April 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2023 via mobile

I recently stayed and was perturbed to find the office not only closed for checkin, but a list in the window of the names of those staying . So much for privacy.
Heater didn't work, took til 3rd day to get another.
Cupboard too high for oldies.
Staff were fab, but manager needs to be more user friendly.

Room tip: Parking quite tight when large SUV owners don't park properly outside their units. Units need a bit of TLC. Cupboards in kitchen too high for oldies, no bedside tables.
Date of stay: March 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2023

Good location, good parking, an inviting small pool, plenty of hot running water and a comfortable bed. However, the room (Room 9) was clearly in a very worn state and desperately needed renovating. Cupboards were old, damaged and rather dirty! Lots of hair was found on the well worn carpet and on the bathroom floor and skirting board:( The shower worked OK but the water wouldn't drain away properly. This was rectified when we told the cleaners. The state of the bathroom cabinet was shocking, see images. In addition the bathroom door had squeaky hinges and wouldn't shut!! I could go on as there were quite a number of other negatives like smelly T -towels, little cutlery and stained towels and bath mat.....ugh I will NOT be staying here again:(

Room tip: I wouldn't stay here again:(
Date of stay: March 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2023

The Owner and staff at this Motel were exceptionally nice to us. Their hospitality was extremely kind. We actually stayed in another Motel that was well well below standard, which made our holiday miserable. I bought our three young children here and we had one of our best holidays yet due to great people and loads of fun in the pool. We would definitely stay anytime, recommend to friends and to any corporate having staff travelling. Heart warming to know there are great people in NZ and great places to stay to give your kids a true Kiwi experience.

Date of stay: December 2022
Reviewed 7 February 2023 via mobile

We booked a 2 bed executive room, that isn’t what we got. Peter the owner was extremely unhelpful and would not accept the fact he had mislead us with false advertising. When we challenged him he told us to go away. We wouldn’t. We questioned him on another room which was the executive room, he said that was none of our business and it was taken.
Thirty degree heat and no air con. We asked for a fab, after huffing and puffing he finally got us one, obviously we were inconveniencing him. We asked again about the room, he said leave, offered us a refund then seconds later changed his mind. My two friends are visiting me from the uk and I was embarrassed by him to be honest, so I tried again. Other guests arrived as I was trying to resolve the problem, he said to them - bet you can’t guess where she’s from in a nasty voice. He continued to ignore me. I asked him what he would do in my position, being mislead, he would not discuss it. Just abused me when he did bother to speak. The man is racist and a male chauvinist who needs some lessons in customer service.
Rooms very basic. Not enough chairs for us all to sit outside.
We have reported him to booking.com who are currently trying to get our money back so we can stay somewhere else. I have also reported him to the commerce commission.
I have learnt a very important lesson today, check places out before you book and if you have been mislead take the necessary action to try and make sure he can’t keep doing it.
The most horrible man I have ever met in my life, at least Basil Fawlty had a sense of humour. Here is more but I’m giving him too much of my time……
Photo is of the room we should have got

Date of stay: February 2023