“Great restaurant for a romantic dinner”
Review of Whitebait

Whitebait
Ranked #33 of 1,082 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$16 - US$68
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located at Clyde Quay Wharf overlooking the Wellington waterfront, Te Papa and the city skyline Whitebait offers the best of New Zealand's oceans, with Chef James Pask's signature 'Story of our Seas' tasting menu, as well as refined, ingredient focussed fixed price menu options. Alongside the seafood the menu features locally sourced game, lamb and vegetarian dishes.
Reviewed 24 December 2016

The food was very good here, albeit pricey. Service was great and the atmosphere was elegant with acoustics that made quiet conversation easy.

Date of visit: November 2016
Nick_FoHOps, Front of House Operations Manager at Whitebait, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time in reviewing us, a great read indeed. Im glad you could justify our pricing as we go to huge lengths to maintain quality and handling of product selection to be consistent with our identity, I truely hope you are up for another visit as we would love to have you.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 23 December 2016

An absolutely lovely, sunny day in Wellington celebrated by a wonderful and scrumptious dinner at Whitebait. We were on a tour of New Zealand and the lady next to me on the plane flying into Wellington suggested your restaurant and we are so glad she did! Very welcoming and knowledgeable staff- incredible snapper and Cloudy Bay Scallop crevice, perfectly prepared snapper topped with langostinos and finely chopped mirepoix, tender-as-butter scallops, delightful salad with zucchini strips and a lemony dressing, Rhubarb Soufflé for dessert was yummy only to be outdone by the earthquake that struck at 12:02 am that night! We are now back in the USA and the only regret is that Whitebait is not closer. Thank you for a delicious and memorable dinner!

Date of visit: November 2016

Well what great advice by your fellow passanger.

Im glad you had a great meal before the quake and wern't too shaken by it all.

We love the detail of your experience, it goes a long way for the staff. I completely understand the quake trumping the desert, can't really compete with that.

Thankyou again for your lovely review, we look forward to having you back on your next visit to Wellington.

Warm regards

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

We had a delicious dinner here tonight - we shared a whole fish with gremolata and asparagus as a side, and an AMAZING mille feuille with lemon and violet ice cream for dessert.

It was all excellent - the fish was perfect, the asparagus was great, but that dessert...I reckon it might just be the nicest dessert I've ever had. And I've had a lot of desserts! It was just perfect.

We're definitely coming back for the next special occasion.

Dear Amy,

Thank you for your lovely review. Seems we honoured your sweet tooth's needs. I shall pass on to the pastry chef. Your want to re-visit is a win in our eyes and we would love to have you back for that special occasion or for your next craving of quality seafood and dessert.

Thank you again for the time taken in reviewing Whitebait,

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 20 December 2016

My husband and I came for dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary. A very enjoyable meal but spoilt by three bones in my salmon. I brought this to the attention of the waiter who said he would discuss my problem with the chef. On leaving the restaurant I queried the waiter who said the chef hand removed all the salmon bones - yeah all but three. He apologized but made no suggestion of compensation. Disappointing to come to a high end restaurant and have to dig bones out of my mouth.

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry for the oversite of recognition to your food query re the salmon bones. Something that can be overlooked but not a standard for us by no means. Im sorry you were not offered sufficient compensation as some should have been given.

I really hope that three bones didn't tarnish your confidence in revisiting us. Front of house staff know to relay all food queries/complaints to management to deal with. I am sorry this was not the case for you on this occasion. We have reemphasised this thanks to your feedback.

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

This is a serious seafood restaurant doing amazing food which is innovative and appealing. Full on a Monday night says a bit about the appeal of Whitebait. We both had two courses and shared a desert. All meals were brilliant. My schnapper fillet was cooked perfectly and the accompanying sauce was delectable. My wife had a seafood in broth Cajun style which she voted a 10/10 dish. Good wines, some a bit pricey, available by the glass. An expensive night out but well worth it. A definite must visit if in Wellington.

Dear John,

Thank you for reviewing us in such a highlight. Our chefs and co will love your statement. Under promise over deliver I say.

Yes some of the glass pours can really creep up there solely to give access to those premium wines which we are able to preserve via a corivan system and serve by the glass. The lower price range items by no means suffer quality and still will complement the food via server guidance if needed.
The broth is always a pleaser.

Thank you again for such gracious feedback, and we look forward to hosting you again.

Warmest regards,