“OKay”

Price range: US$12 - US$60
Cuisines: Bar, New Zealand
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: This locally adored restaurant invites you to enjoy Wellington from a breathtaking perspective. Ascend to the James Cook Hotel's 17th floor for sweeping views of the city and harbour. Partake in the opulent buffet, with our Chef personally crafting made-to-order dishes on the live cooking station, or choose a selection from the a la carte menu of regional specialities and international fare. To end your evening on a romantic note, visit the Piano Bar for an after-dinner cocktail. Whitby's is also available for private events. Please contact us to discuss arrangements. Opening times:•Breakfast : 06:30 - 10:00 hrs•Lunch: 12:00 - 14:30 hrs•Dinner: 17:30 - 22:00 hrs (early-bird: 17:30-19:00)•High Teas: 11:30 - 15:30 hrs•Piano Bar: 10:00 - late High Tea at the James Cook is a Wellington tradition, perfect for get-togethers, showers or unwinding after a day of shopping. Relax and savour a fine selection of teas and coffees, paired with scones and cakes fresh from the hotel bakery, traditional finger sandwiches, petite savouries, desserts and chocolate dipped strawberries.
Reviewed 10 September 2017

We had a bufet meal, the main meal was nice, roast lamp was fantastic, beautiful fresh bread rolls. The dessert I had was apple crumble, the crumble on top was not cooked properly. By choice would not pick this place to dine again.

Overall okay but not fantastic

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

I have NEVER left a bad review for anywhere as I always try to look for the positives when we eat out.
The only positive was the wait staff who were quick to clear the table during the buffet service.
Was Indonesian food week & We attended for our twins birthday celebration & sorry but it was a waste of 600 odd dollars on food & drinks.
Two of the kebabs my partner got were not cooked at one end (totally raw) & so I went to the Chef & let him know & just got the standard "Oh sorry" so when I went to order another drink I let the bar manager know & yet again got the oh sorry story.
Fairly obvious to me that my concerns were not forwarded on to management as no one came to see us about what I feel is quite serious with uncooked chicken on our plates.
Not impressed at all!!
Wont be back

Reviewed 13 August 2017

All 60 or so guests were seated in the room off the side of the main part and beautifully set out with plenty of room between tables and chairs.There was the usual food variety from a Buffet which hasn't changed a lot over the years. The seafood and condiments were a bit spicy for some people and there wasn't a lot of salads. Chicken kebabs and beef were very good.Reasonable selections of deserts and the ice cream selection a great idea. Very little selection on the cheese board front.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

It was a lousy night cold and wet, and I wondered why I had invited my friend and her husband to join us for a Mid Christmas Buffet at Whitby's. We had a half hour drive as well. One inside the atmosphere was lovely, we were greeted by a bright shy decorated Christmas Tree, complete with presents in front. My husband and I chose a mulled wine, which was warm, lovely taste of red wine and cinnamon, My friends a Merlot and a Hinecken. The buffet had a lovely assortment of seafood - shrimps, mussels in shells, prawns, salmon and clams. Mains stuffed turkey, steak medallions, fish in white sauce, assortment of roast and steamed vegetables. More dishes than I am naming and two soups pea hand ham and four bean. Deserts like pavlova, jelly, assortment of ice cream, panna collata, caramel mousesse, steamed pudding and custard, caramel cheesecake and more. Chocolate fondue for the nostalgic ones,
A cheese board, dried figs, bananas, walnuts etc, and coffee or tea to finish off with. I love my seafood and the salmon was divine, the steak medallions yum and the stuffed turkey out of this world. The service was wonderful, when I inquired after hot chocolate for my husband and my girl friends husband, they went out of their way to find some for us. The Christmas crackers, and decorations added to the atmosphere.

JamesCookHotel, Marketing & Communications Executive at Whitby's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

Hi Shayne,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback from our mid-winter Christmas buffet.

I have passed your comments to the Chefs, who are busy beginning preparations for our upcoming Indonesian Food Festival.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

The Whitby's Restaurant & Bar team

Reviewed 17 July 2017

Our daughters (and friends) are still young enough to be thrilled by the prospect of an all-you-can-eat buffet where you don't have to have a main and can skip straight to dessert. And the parents love that the Whitby's staff are so accommodating - we'd asked for the 5 young ladies to have their own table, with us nearby but not with them. And that's exactly what we got. Our visit coincided with the mid-winter Christmas dinner, and it was great. Especially the mulled wine (which can be hard to get right, but I loved theirs). We were able to relax, we didn't feel rushed (we were there for just over 2 hours) and the service was very good. On other visits we've had to wait a while to be able to order drinks - not this time. The range at the buffet was terrific as usual, and we have no complaints about any of the food. The Christmas pudding, brandy custard and icecream was simply divine !! I'd have given this visit 5 stars, but the margarita my husband had was too strong to be enjoyable, and perhaps there could have been another rice on the main buffet table (but that's getting very picky). Oh, and I think the hotel should offer a discount on parking if you've been to the restaurant - our 2 hours cost $20 which seemed a bit harsh after the amount we spent at Whitby's.

JamesCookHotel, Marketing & Communications Executive at Whitby's Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

Our Restaurant team are very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed our mid-winter Christmas buffet dinner. We always appreciate guest feedback and it's great you liked the flavours of our Mulled wine and buffet dishes.

We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

Kind regards,