“Great Italian trattoria and delicatessen”

Mediterranean Foods - Newtown -Trattoria & Deli
Ranked #224 of 1,077 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$14 - US$55
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Mediterranean Foods offers a wide-range of imported goods including a wide range of pasta, wine, cheeses, meats and so much more. Along with this, 2016 marks an exciting year for Mediterranean Foods. Not only does the business have a fresh new look, but after 16 years the original Newtown Warehouse and Pizzeria has undergone major renovations. Using the term Trattoria (casual neighbourhood restaurant) the menu now includes fantastic regional Italian dishes, a bar, and of course the much loved wood - fired pizza.
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Was in Newtown and called into Mediterranean Foods for lunch.
It was a complete surprise. It's a huge place, with a a large informal dining area, sunny cafe tables by the windows on the northern street side, a huge wood fired pizza oven, and a massive NYC/Italian deli in the rear.
For lunch I had an inexpensive and simple fettuccine with shrimps, garlic and a hint of chilli tossed lightly in oil. Delightful. It was a "daily special" and I loved the unique touch of providing a recipe card for the dish with the food - perfect if I need to pick up any of the ingredients from the deli!
I'll definitely be back.

1  Thank 780brettm

Reviewed 5 September 2017

First time came to this place and I was pleasantly surprised by the warmth and the efficiency of their waiting staffs. They really worked as a team, professional and understand their food can make good recommendations if you ever got stuck.

I've ordered the smoked salmon bagel and the berry cheese cake. The salmon bagel was good. I had my eye on another cake but after I spoke to the waiting staffs who were really helpful - I've ordered probably one of the best cheese cake I've tried.

Coffee was very good, will definitely come back here again. Ambience is good, toilet is clean and the tables are wiped nicely.

1  Thank Elizabeth-Therese
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I went here for lunch and tried the Roma and Armatrice pizza. This is the most authentically Italian pizza I've had in NZ. Being from Chch I haven't had any pizza this good since being in Italy.

1  Thank amycara_w
Reviewed 27 August 2017

As a family we enjoyed our meals very much. The pizza was brilliant and the Italian dishes were very tasty and well prepared. We would recommend the spaghetti with the cockles. Yum!

2  Thank Youie1966
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Fabulous, authentic pizza on delicious light base. Could have had a bit more basil on my margarita but extra buffalo mozarella made up for it. Vege pizza was also really good. Good beer and friendly service. Nice coffee.

2  Thank Ah62