“Good food, reasonable prices ”
Review of Mekong Cafe

Mekong Cafe
Ranked #170 of 1,069 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

This is one of the few Vietnamese food stores I've seen around New Zealand. The food itself is quite good. The vermicelli noodles were very flavourful and the spring rolls were crispy. The pho itself is quite a small bowl.. we had the spicy pho and it was very very spicy! (If you're hungry I recommend getting the larger size). If you like spicy food, the chilli here is extremely spicy!
Overall fairly good prices for the food and resonable sizes.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

I have been eating here every now and then for the past over 10 years and I always find that this is one of the best cheap eats in Wellington especially for noodle soups. Price is reasonable and good volume of food for the price. Highly recommended. You will never be disappointed.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Been wanting to eat here for ages and finally did so last night. Should have been here earlier. Great service, great food and a great location. I'll be back again. The pho and the spring rolls were amazing.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I highly recommend Mekong Cafe - simply for the value you receive here.

I ordered takeout through Wellington delivery company Delivereasy.

Mekong Cafe do really tasty, good Vietnamese food. We ordered a range of dishes and each one was great, flavourful and tasty. However, I asked myself, was this the most delicious Vietnamese food i've tried in Wellington? I thought back and compared to the likes of Apache in Wellington. The answer was no, the food was not as perfect as Apache - but it was pretty close!

What comes next is why I gave good (but not perfect) food a 5 star rating: that is value. Even though this food was good, but not as good as Apache - the cost of the meals were incredibly cheap - like half what I would have paid elsewhere.

For the price of the meals I was expecting smaller portions or pretty average food. But I was surprised to receive full large sized meals - that tasted truly great!

Therefore I highly recommend this restaurant! Such amazing value - I will definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Mekong is one of Wellington's hidden gems. It's been around for over 20 years, and keeps on turning out great food at even better prices - enough to have me returning regularly. It's absolutely no frills, but Its plain formica tables are generally always full of happy diners. The service is fast and responsive. In my opinion, Mekong does the best combination Pho in town, and it's well under $15. The lack of an alcohol licence is the only thing that might discourage some folks. Try a Lychee shake instead - delicious!