“Outstanding meal and service”

Boulcott Street Bistro
Ranked #4 of 972 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$4 - US$28
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Iconic Wellington restaurant, Boulcott Street Bistro opened its doors in 1991 and over the past 20+ years has welcomed visitors and locals alike with warm hospitality, fine food cooked with care, and a well chosen wine list, all served in a relaxed atmosphere.Boulcott Street Bistro follows a benevolent tradition , proudly serving its many loyal customers a combination of innovative, modern fare, classic bistro dishes, and great wines earning the reputation as a Wellington favourite. The kitchen sources the freshest seasonal produce available, and are always happy to accommodate dietary requirements and requests.The Heritage setting of the restaurant, also known as Plimmer House, is a delightful Wellington landmark. Plimmer house is named after John Plimmer, the notable Wellingtonian who was officially bestowed the title 'Father of Wellington'. The charming inner-city Gothic cottage was originally built as a wedding gift by a local groom for his bride to be in the late 1870s and came into the possession of the Plimmer family in 1911.Bookings can be made for lunch, but no need to book for dinner as it is casual dining. To help celebrate a special occasion we can organise flowers, champagne and a delicious house-baked chocolate cake. We have set menus for 10 or more if you are organising a function. Roast dinners, a traditional favourite, are available every Sunday evening from 6.00Pm with our "Roast & Red" special, and this includes a delicious homemade dessert and a glass of red.The private dining room seating 10 - 16 for lunch or dinner is also perfect for conferences or work functions with full catering services to suit your needs
Reviewed 10 December 2017

Every now and then you read a review that makes you think "That must have been written by someone who works there just to boost their rating". Well, I am going to write one of those reviews, not because I have any connection to the restaurant - because I don't - but because it was outstanding. Pure and simple.

I had booked a table for 1 at 6pm and was warmly welcomed when I arrived. The menu is not super extensive, but I had looked at it before booking, so I knew there would be something to enjoy.

I drank wine by the glass and the wait staff were well and truly able to recommend something appropriate. They even tempted me to try wines I would normally shy away from. They have an extensive range of wines by the glass and bottle.

For the record, I had the french onion soup, roasted chicken and eclair. They were all, well, outstanding. A great mix of flavours.

The restaurant is not cheap, but in this case you do get what you pay for.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely dinner. Staff were v friendly. Highlights were the pork belly starter and steak main. Wines by the glass were good too. Restaurant was a little warm

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

A nice old fashioned weather board building housing a great resturant hidden away off the main streets of Wellington.

Highly recommended as well as being Beef and Lamb award winners.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

Excellent lamb shank, cooked to perfection. that is what I seeked, and got it here to have a happy ending to my trip in New Zealand. Very cozy restaurant with friendly staff. If you are looking for lamb shank, do not think twice, this is your place, and worth every extra penny. So soft and tender, was the best, after having had the worst elsewhere last night, which I could not chew it was so hard.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

We have been fortunate enough to have our end of year work celebration again at BSB. A wonderful day enjoyed by all! Chef supreme Rex at the helm with the wonderful Fergus and Alex at front of house. The food was marvellous- our champagne hour was supplemented with delicious morsels- porkbelly and whitebait nibbles; just enough to set the scene for the lunch to follow. The "classics" which BSB is famous for were enjoyed by all. I can never go past the filet and frites; as always cooked to perfection the way I like it! It was a leisurely, unhurried afternoon and we were delighted when Rex came out to an arousing applause from the assembled- a genius!
The wine list is extensive with something for everyone. Finishing off with Chateau d'yquem brought the memorable day to a fitting end!
Well done Team Boulcott Street Bistro- we hope that you will have us back next year!