“Superb!!!”

Ranked #5 of 960 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$3 - US$27
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Iconic Wellington restaurant, Boulcott Street Bistro opened its doors in 1991 and over the past 20+ years has welcomed visitors and locals alike with warm hospitality, fine food cooked with care, and a well chosen wine list, all served in a relaxed atmosphere.Boulcott Street Bistro follows a benevolent tradition , proudly serving its many loyal customers a combination of innovative, modern fare, classic bistro dishes, and great wines earning the reputation as a Wellington favourite. The kitchen sources the freshest seasonal produce available, and are always happy to accommodate dietary requirements and requests.The Heritage setting of the restaurant, also known as Plimmer House, is a delightful Wellington landmark. Plimmer house is named after John Plimmer, the notable Wellingtonian who was officially bestowed the title 'Father of Wellington'. The charming inner-city Gothic cottage was originally built as a wedding gift by a local groom for his bride to be in the late 1870s and came into the possession of the Plimmer family in 1911.Bookings can be made for lunch, but no need to book for dinner as it is casual dining. To help celebrate a special occasion we can organise flowers, champagne and a delicious house-baked chocolate cake. We have set menus for 10 or more if you are organising a function. Roast dinners, a traditional favourite, are available every Sunday evening from 6.00Pm with our "Roast & Red" special, and this includes a delicious homemade dessert and a glass of red.The private dining room seating 10 - 16 for lunch or dinner is also perfect for conferences or work functions with full catering services to suit your needs
Reviewed 23 December 2016

As they don't take dinner bookings, we arrived early and it was soon full. The staff were all friendly and efficient. We ordered the aged beef fillet steaks, they were cooked to perfection and delicious! Although it came with excellent fries, you might expect a vegetable to be included for the price. Extensive quality wine list on par with top Wellington restaurant prices. The sticky date pudding was divine! Can't wait for our next visit to Wellington as we would certainly return!

1  Thank tcdambuster

Reviewed 22 December 2016

Brought the whole family here after wanting to go for years, and after a quick drink at the bar our lovely waitress showed us our table.
We all wanted a delicious piece of tender lamb, and it was tender, but that's all it was. The flavours of the entire lamb dish was very bland. It was lacking seasonings and flavour, gravy was super average, I'm sure I could have done a better myself (and I'm a terrible cook). If it hadn't been for the nice staff I would have thought this entire experience was very poor. We are definelty never going back, would not recommend. Boring and overrated! Oh but actually, the espresso from the cool old coffee machine was perfect!!

Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

Had our final meal in Wellington here and it was a definite winner. The place was buzzing when we arrived about 7 pm and we were fortunate to find a table. My French onion Soup was delicious as was the mushroom ravioli my wife enjoyed. I had a simple veal schnitzel for main. Well presented with fresh coleslaw and accompanying potatoes it was plain but satisfying. My wife had fish in lobster bisque. Without awarding it as brilliant she was quite satisfied. Some decent wines by the glass. Not a cheap place with most mains in the mid 30s but a rewarding night.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

Elegant, superb, fine dining food you'l love, served by knowledgeable and entertaining staff in a wonderful ambiance.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

Set within a white Victorian villa, good 'ole Boulcott Bistro is one of Welly's great dining institutions. The décor is stunning. Food and service is always of a consistently high standard. It's a five star dining experience without the pricetag.

They do offer a $49 special Sunday gourmet Roast, (lunch or dinner) with a glass of red or beer including a classic pudding.

They have an expansive drinks menu; anything goes here from half to full bottles of wine or half bottle of Tattinger to craft or imported beers (some gluten-free?!), ciders, cocktails, bubbles, champagne, wines by the glass, digestifs, dessert wines, sherry, whiskeys, whiskey liqueurs or bourbon.

Hubby chose French onion soup with gruyere crouton for his starter. He swore that this was the best he's ever eaten. As for my tomato confit with goats cheese salad, it looked divine but after my first bite I cringed as the tomatoes were ice cold as they'd been refrigerated. This time it was my turn to swear. I'm a tomato grower's daughter and it is a cardinal sin to put tomatoes in the fridge as they lose flavour. Naughty chef, you should know better. I finished it though and gave our lovely American waitress my feedback. At the end of the meal she advised us she'd removed this item from the bill which was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. Good recovery and I bloody hope that it was a lesson learned.

For my main I chose the market fish which was teriyaki with scallops in a crayfish bisque with pea shoots. It was divine. They also offered me two small slices of homemade gluten free bread which was delicious warmed and soft on the palate. Hubby of course loved his schnitzel served with slaw and pomme dauphines which looked and tasted a bit like tater tots!! Our side was sautéed mushrooms however I would have opted for broccoli with blue cheese dressing (yum) which I've had before or the asparagus. Next time.

We couldn't fit in a dessert however they all sounded sublime e.g. creme brulee, éclair, sticky date pudding (yum), vacherin, chocolate mousse, petits fours or artisan cheese selection.

They also cater for GF, DF, V peeps which is great so they are very accommodating. We'll be back for sure and will come with friends so we can try more e.g. the pork belly brochette, calves liver or pork terrine for a starter and the lamb cutlets, steak and chicken sound fabbo also.

Bravo Boulcott St Bistro. Keep up the great work. A bientot.