“Boulcott Bistro Bliss”

Ranked #7 of 946 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$4 - US$29
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Iconic Wellington restaurant, Boulcott Street Bistro opened its doors in 1991 and over the past 20+ years has welcomed visitors and locals alike with warm hospitality, fine food cooked with care, and a well chosen wine list, all served in a relaxed atmosphere.Boulcott Street Bistro follows a benevolent tradition , proudly serving its many loyal customers a combination of innovative, modern fare, classic bistro dishes, and great wines earning the reputation as a Wellington favourite. The kitchen sources the freshest seasonal produce available, and are always happy to accommodate dietary requirements and requests.The Heritage setting of the restaurant, also known as Plimmer House, is a delightful Wellington landmark. Plimmer house is named after John Plimmer, the notable Wellingtonian who was officially bestowed the title 'Father of Wellington'. The charming inner-city Gothic cottage was originally built as a wedding gift by a local groom for his bride to be in the late 1870s and came into the possession of the Plimmer family in 1911.Bookings can be made for lunch, but no need to book for dinner as it is casual dining. To help celebrate a special occasion we can organise flowers, champagne and a delicious house-baked chocolate cake. We have set menus for 10 or more if you are organising a function. Roast dinners, a traditional favourite, are available every Sunday evening from 6.00Pm with our "Roast & Red" special, and this includes a delicious homemade dessert and a glass of red.The private dining room seating 10 - 16 for lunch or dinner is also perfect for conferences or work functions with full catering services to suit your needs
Reviewed 20 December 2016

Elegant, superb, fine dining food you'l love, served by knowledgeable and entertaining staff in a wonderful ambiance.

There are newer reviews for Boulcott Street Bistro

Reviewed 20 December 2016

Set within a white Victorian villa, good 'ole Boulcott Bistro is one of Welly's great dining institutions. The décor is stunning. Food and service is always of a consistently high standard. It's a five star dining experience without the pricetag.

They do offer a $49 special Sunday gourmet Roast, (lunch or dinner) with a glass of red or beer including a classic pudding.

They have an expansive drinks menu; anything goes here from half to full bottles of wine or half bottle of Tattinger to craft or imported beers (some gluten-free?!), ciders, cocktails, bubbles, champagne, wines by the glass, digestifs, dessert wines, sherry, whiskeys, whiskey liqueurs or bourbon.

Hubby chose French onion soup with gruyere crouton for his starter. He swore that this was the best he's ever eaten. As for my tomato confit with goats cheese salad, it looked divine but after my first bite I cringed as the tomatoes were ice cold as they'd been refrigerated. This time it was my turn to swear. I'm a tomato grower's daughter and it is a cardinal sin to put tomatoes in the fridge as they lose flavour. Naughty chef, you should know better. I finished it though and gave our lovely American waitress my feedback. At the end of the meal she advised us she'd removed this item from the bill which was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. Good recovery and I bloody hope that it was a lesson learned.

For my main I chose the market fish which was teriyaki with scallops in a crayfish bisque with pea shoots. It was divine. They also offered me two small slices of homemade gluten free bread which was delicious warmed and soft on the palate. Hubby of course loved his schnitzel served with slaw and pomme dauphines which looked and tasted a bit like tater tots!! Our side was sautéed mushrooms however I would have opted for broccoli with blue cheese dressing (yum) which I've had before or the asparagus. Next time.

We couldn't fit in a dessert however they all sounded sublime e.g. creme brulee, éclair, sticky date pudding (yum), vacherin, chocolate mousse, petits fours or artisan cheese selection.

They also cater for GF, DF, V peeps which is great so they are very accommodating. We'll be back for sure and will come with friends so we can try more e.g. the pork belly brochette, calves liver or pork terrine for a starter and the lamb cutlets, steak and chicken sound fabbo also.

Bravo Boulcott St Bistro. Keep up the great work. A bientot.

Reviewed 20 December 2016

I went to Boulcott Street Bristol as part of my husband Christmas dinner. We very rarely eat out. This is one restaurant that I will go to again because of the excellent food and willingness to adjust their menu for me. The service was above excellent.

Reviewed 17 December 2016

Traveling to Welling this time for pleasure & not work I got to re-visit the Boulcott Street Bistro. And while Wellington has some terrific restaurants this place is among the very best.

The no booking a table in advance would normally annoy me but here the staff are friendly, the range of cocktails & beers at the bar is extensive and you are constantly kept up to date on your table. We arrived on a busy Saturday night, advised the wait could be considerable yet by the time we had completed one round of drinks we were seated and looking over the menu.

The food is terrific, wide choice, beautifully presented and cooked to perfection, but make sure you leave room for desert.

All in all I will look forward to another meal on my next visit to Wellington.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

I have to say...I'm a little confussed as to why this is the #7 restaurant in Wellington. It's ok...but at the end of the day it is a fancy pub and a bit expensive at that. We were there on a Monday night and had to wait 45 minutes for a table...so we had pretty high expectations. The decor is casual and charming and the staff is personable enough.

We ordered the french onion soup and calamari as a starter, which were both lovely and tasty (but not anything out of this world), our mains were the lamb shank (which was fantastic and hearty) and the snapper fish of the day (which was very bland and very small in portion size, maybe 130g at best). It was topped with over cooked scallops. Dessert was creme brûlée and sticky date pudding...yet again average. The sugar on the brûlée was burnt and the pudding was not even close to being sticky. The waitress asked it we wanted our cappuccino and tea with dessert or after, we said with and it came after.

We needed to go to the door to get our bill which also included a $12 glass of red and 2 - double shots of whisky for $211. It seemed high in comparison to other local restaurants like Whitebait and Hippopotamus, considering the service was nothing extrodinary and the food was average at best. There are loads of amazing, wonderful food options in Wellington...and this one is over rated thanks to the reviews on trip advisor. It you go in with fancy pub expectations, then you won't be disappointed...but if you think you are going to receive great food, fantastic service and good value for money, keep walking. We wish we would of.

1  Thank Tiffany B