Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Phil Wilson
Auckland, New Zealand

Dated building that sways in the Wellington wind

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 16 Jul 2022
I stayed at this property for 3 nights with my 2 Kids for a holiday to Wellington. We often stay in a Quest property in Auckland so I thought I'd give this one a try as well.

We stayed in a 2 bed apartment on the 14th floor and my first impression was that it was very dated. At a guess I'd say that the building was built in the 50's (I work as a Builder) but its been renovated a few times since. The bathroom looks to be constructed in the early 90's and parts of the apartment have been updated more recently. It is a dark apartment and we needed the lights on most of the time we were there. Functionally it works, although the bathroom is very small, and the washer dryer didn't seem to be able to dry (after a few cycles) The kitchen is basic and has most things to cook a basic meal. It also has a dishwasher located in the lower part of the oven. All in all it was functional.

The lobby and lifts had an extremely strong air freshener smell (i guess this may be for Covid?) not the most pleasant. The building has 2 lifts which is nice with this many floors and usable stairs. Front counter staff were pleasant and efficient, and the housekeeping staff were good. As far as cleanliness I'd give it a 3 out of 5. Generally the apartment was clean. There were a number of small things broken or not working, mostly general maintenance items.

Our biggest issue was on the last night, my son thought he felt an earthquake when the door started rattling. However after I noticed this some time later I realised that it was the building swaying in the wind!!!! If you get sea sick this building isn't for you! it was so bad that I could see a toy car on the bedside moving back and forth. We all managed to get to sleep but it was certainly disconcerting. In the end both kids (9 and 13yo) asked not to stay again at this property.

If I was on a tight budget, I'd consider staying again myself, but definitely not with my family.
3.0 of 5 bubblesService
    $191
    $195
5.8 km from Quest On Johnston
View more hotels in Wellington
All reviews washer dryer great location queen bed apartment was clean short stay full kitchen across the road kitchenette
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 July 2022 via mobile

There were 4 of us in a business trip for 3 nights. We were booked into a 3 bedroom apartment on the top floor. The apartment is spacious with 2 levels and was clean and well serviced. There are great views from this apartment.
The upper level has 2 rooms and a bathroom. One room has 2 single beds and the other has a queen bed. The lower level has one queen bed room, bathroom, lounge/dining and kitchenette.
It was very cold outside and the fin heaters kept the apartment warm once they had been on for a while.
On the second night the wind was very strong and the building swayed a lot.
There is mention of the sway in the welcome letter and a reassurance of 93% earthquake safety.
The swaying was quite surreal. Like being on a cruise ship. One of our group was quite sick.
We felt safe but uncomfortable. It is certainly something to be aware of.
The staff were excellent and very helpful.
The apartment is in a great location with quick access to shops and restaurants.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2022

Room was ok .. large enough and comfortable - noise from wind and planes kept me awake most of the night. Note that there are zero hotel provisions here ... no food or bar or pool or ... anything apart from rooms. Parking beware .. only 6 places available so make sure you book ... at 35 dollars a night plus a surcharge even on debit cards ...not on site but at a Wilsons parking opposite. Front desk service is restricted to business hours and less on weekends. Saying that the girl at the desk was pleasant and answered all questions regarding staying there. Place was very handy to a lot of very pleasant eating places ....

Reviewed 10 May 2021

Exactly what we needed for a one night city stay. Excellent value for money. The two bedroom apartment is very clean, well equipped and comfortable.
The upgrade was noted and we are very thankful for.
Would come again. Thank you to the staff member who were super friendly and accommodating in storing our luggage for the day. Much appreciated.

Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank Boeing777
Reviewed 15 April 2021 via mobile

It’s quite passable as a room for the night but there’s no doubt better value for money could generally be found. Ironically on the night I stayed the accomodation was very scarce hence staying here. Room was ok size, bathroom was small and not in the what nick. Staff were friendly and the location was handy for me.

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 3 January 2021

This place was booked by a family member for the criteria of being cheap and close to the CBD. The location was excellent and could not really fault that. The parking was a bit variable with lots of free metered parks when we arrived on Xmas Day but found it hard to find one during the late afternoons and had to park in adjacent streets on some days. The parking garage options were also a bit pricey. As we arrived on Xmas Day, no one assisted us with our luggage so we took it upon ourselves to get a luggage trolley and go up the lifts to our rooms. Passageways leading to the rooms were a bit narrow. The key access was fine although the door strike plate was hanging on by a single screw and looked like it would fall off anytime soon. The rooms were small, functional with a sofa bed that gave me a slightly sore back in the morning. The main bedroom had a queen bed which was nice. Kitchen facilities were adequate. Room service was a bit lacking - on our 3 night stay, the room was only cleaned on the second morning and we only had 2 towels for the 4 of us initially. The bathroom was really cramped and uncomfortable. Did not try the washer dryer. The views were reasonable - mainly of buildings across the street. Wifi access was rather sporadic. Overall I would only recommend this to people on business for a maximum of 2 nights. Not really designed for families.

Date of stay: December 2020