“Wellington's best kept secret”
Review of Marrakech

Marrakech
Ranked #369 of 1,007 Restaurants in Wellington
Reviewed 12 January 2016

I eat at lots of restaurants and this small suburban eatery is one of my favourites. This is a very small cafe and not much to look at but don't be fooled by appearances.
No kebabs or iskanders here, only traditional Morrocan food made with the finest ingredients and prepared by an excellent chef. The tangines are a beautiful blend of meat or fish, fruit, spices and nuts. I've had many dishes from the menu and my favourite is the Berber tagine – lamb shanks in a black plum and ginger sauce, pistachio and couscous. Everything on the menu is delicious. Highly recommended.
This is a halal restaurant so no alcohol or drinks.

Reviewed 2 January 2016

Service was good, not great. We were a party of 6, four adults and two children.
I ordered the chicken and all I got was a chicken wing with frozen peas and carrots. It was very ho hum. My husband ordered the lamb and it was the same, very ordinary and not exciting at all. At the end of the evening we all decided for what we had paid we had been given very ordinary meals and very small ones to boot. We all ended up at another place on the way home to eat some more because we were all hungry.We were very disappointed with the meals.
My husband and I tried a coffee there two days later and that was even worse. All we basically got was milk, couldn't see any coffee at all.
Wont be going back.

Reviewed 3 October 2015 via mobile

Have always wanted to try this place and it was worth the uber ride from Wellington CBD to Marrakech. Loved the chicken, pear and prune dish, it was a melt in your mouth moment. The waiter was very polite and helpful. It's very nice, simple in a nice way, with Moroccan furnishings.
There is no alcohol but that was a good thing for me!! The mint tea was great!

Reviewed 1 August 2015 via mobile

While visiting wellington , I wanted to try something different , Mediterranean especially . After I googled a couple of eateries in town , my tongue drove me to Marrakech restaurant .
Just after entering the place , it looked just perfect as a very welcoming, hospitable little Moroccan house , the food was mouthwatering , the service was impeccable and the atmosphere just great for a tasty meal in a very cold night .
I got to meet the chef and owner of the place , he s a very friendly and a joy to talk to :)
Keep the good work , definitely will be back .

Reviewed 11 July 2015

This is a wonderful little place. I've been here several times and I've enjoyed each experience. The location is about five minutes by car out of the city, and the drive is along Oriental Parade which itself is quiet pleasant. The handy thing about the location is that there's plenty of parking around, and it's all free!

The restaurant itself is a charming little place, all warm colours and decorations. The hospitality of the waiters is wonderful - you're very well looked after and they're exceptionally polite.

The highlight, though, is the food. Best tagines in the city without question. I don't know what they do with the lamb in particular but it melts in your mouth. I've sampled a fair bit of the menu by now and honestly, every dish is superb. Authentic flavours and you can tell that the chefs know what they're doing. The food comes out promptly as well, which is always good. They also offer more bread or rice if you're after it.

Basically, I cannot recommend this place enough!

1  Thank selfadhesive