All reviewssister hotelgreat locationone bedroom apartmentcentral cityabel tasmanshort stayte papaan upgradeeasy walkwould stay againcar parkingharbourtoasterheatingcafesmuseum
Reviewed 30 July 2018 via mobile

If you don’t like to sleep then this is a great hotel and location!
It’s located within easy walking distance of everything in the CBD - great transport links at the end of the road - cafes & restaurants on Cuba Street are just a couple of minutes away - there’s a good Asian food court and a great bar just behind the hotel building too that are worth a visit.
The lobby is a welcoming space and the staff are excellent! (Both customer-facing & our room attendant)
It’s a small hotel with 15 or so floors - only 4 rooms on our floor (8th)
We were in a one bed apartment with small kitchenette, dining table & day bed style sofa (not very comfortable!)
The accommodation was let down by the extremely old mattress which was incredibly soft with springs that twanged every time you moved! That combined with a very compact, unheated and very ‘rough around the edges’ bathroom kinda brought the whole experience crashing down somewhat!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
MWCCHA, Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Dear SouthernBelle9302,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry about the bed in your rooms. We have just acquired new beds which will be placed in all rooms needing a replacement, very soon. I am glad that you could take advantage of our central location.

I am sorry for letting you down on this occasion and I hope you will give us another opportunity in near future.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

Beautiful lobby and a great location right in the middle of town.

The staff member who checked us in was amazing. Friendly, knowledgeable and informative about local area.

The room we have is spacious, well
Laid out but very basic.

Being winter it only has a wall heater that is hard wired in and in a timer. Little bit frustrating as obviously it turns off and you wake up cold.

The bed is extremely uncomfortable with bad roll together. Feels like a real cheap budget mattress.

The apartment Misses on little things like no TV in the bedroom, no AC ETC.

Location and staff would give this place a 5 rating but unfortunately the apartment itself drops it to a 3 rating.

The most important thing for me is a decent night’s sleep which unfortunately didn’t happen due to a stink bed.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
MWCCHA, Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Dear Phil,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I understand that were a couple of aspects of your stay that let you down, please accept my sincere apologies.

Following your comment we have now removed the heaters from timer so they do not turn off in middle of the night. We are also currently in preliminary phase of planning for our upcoming refurbishment which will include replacement of all mattresses.

Thank you for mentioning about the great service you received from our team, I will pass on your comments to them.

Thank you again for writing and I hope you will give us another opportunity to make it up to you in near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

Do not get them mixed up.

The difference is chalk and cheese.

I wanted the grand Mercure but somehow ended up with he Mercure Central City.

I even got the taxi to take me to the grand Mercure only to find out my reservation was not there and it was at the “Other Mercure”.

The other Mercure, “Mercure Central City Hotel” is not a real Hotel. They are poorly maintained apartments that will only disappoint. There is no restaurant at the destination. They advertise food and Gym etc but in the small print it is noted as “being nearby” which means it is not part of the hotel at all.

I can cope with ‘cheap and cheerful’ accommodation but there was no cheerful in this accommodation. The rooms were appalling. I could cope with budget if it was well maintained and looked after but the room I was in was poorly maintained. The cupboards were wobbly, chipped and in poor order. The dining table was wobbly and unstable. The air conditioning was nothing more than a loud heater that sounded like a jet engine taking off when it turned on and off during the night. The heater in the bathroom had been moved and the holes from where it was had not been patched up. The bed was like a hammock sagging in the middle and the power points were few and far between to the point I had to pull the plug from the tv to charge my laptop. The exhaust fan in the bathrooms grill did not open so it didn’t work. The hair dryer had so much fluff on the air intake it barely worked. You could not turn the lights off from the bed and had to get out to turn them off and some of the lights did not even have globes in them so they would not work.

This is a cheap and poorly maintained service apartment.

I would avoid this hotel at all costs and will never return. They simply don’t care about looking after or maintaining their rooms.

Check out the photos for proof.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
MWCCHA, Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Dear fishinwater,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at our hotel and would welcome the chance to speak with you directly to discuss your feedback as well as apologise. Please contact me directly via email; rdm@primehotels.co.nz or via phone +64 4 385 4166.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

One of the worst hotels I've stayed @
Checked out next day and upgraded myself to a proper hotel

Bed and couch appears like old Ikea furniture - Might as well stayed @ a hostel

No bar or restaurant...the bar/restaurant posted is around the corner at a larger mercure

No TV in the bedroom ...and since they are sold out you're stuck- really?
And they have the worst cable channels ...or rather the lack there of.

No bottle water in the rooms
No central air either ...space heater and window's depending on the temp you want

Walls are very thin - sorry the my neighbors who could hear my tv all nite. ..

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
MWCCHA, Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Dear Redbullx2,

Thank you about writing about our hotel. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your requirements and your expectations, please accept my sincere apologies.

We are in planning stages for a refurbishment which will be done in near future to upgrade the hotels furniture and fittings.

Sorry again that we were not able to meet your requirements and I hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve you.

Reviewed 24 May 2018

Hotel is centrally located in the city, can just walk to go around..Rooms is alright, clean and enough space, but just close the windows as it could get noisy at night due to the bars nearby. Good hotel for a budget friendly price.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Sametty,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in our spacious rooms.

I am sorry about the noise at night, being at a central location we can encounter some noise issues on lower floors.

Thank you again for writing and we look forward to welcoming you back in near future.