“Stunning Meal at Capitol!”
Review of Capitol Restaurant

Capitol Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 922 Restaurants in Wellington
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Capitol's menu has a strong focus on local seafood and seasonal, ethical produce. Our food is fresh, pure and uncluttered, our service warm, inviting and knowledgeable, and our dining room filled with a happy mingling of locals and visitors to Wellington.
Reviewed 21 June 2021

I came in a couple weeks ago with my family for dinner and it was outstanding. Overall, the service was fantastic; all the servers had great attitudes and attended to our needs with immense effort. The food was amazing! I had the clams as an entree and the fish of the day as a main. My family and I enjoyed every aspect of dining at Capitol (especially the self-centred chocolate pudding for desert).

Overall highly rate this experience and will definitely be returning to Capitol very soon.

Date of visit: June 2021

Reviewed 18 June 2021 via mobile

We went for a lunch based on reviews. The food was OK but overpriced as others have pointed out. We were served burnt toast & some unopened clams. Our biggest disappointment was the service. It was just non existent. There was only one serving person for a whole restaurant. Our drinks were forgotten & we spent the whole of our meal trying to attract the attention of a sadly overworked waitress. We left without desert or coffee hugely disappointed. We dine out all over the world & this was one of our worst dining experiences.

Date of visit: June 2021
1  Thank Henri8848
Kate H, Owner at Capitol Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2021

Wow, I am sorry that you had a rough lunch. I imagine that I was working on that lunch and I guess you arrived on a day where we were unexpectedly busy. I can only say that this is not the usual standard of service at Capitol, and I'm very sorry that you copped some sub-standard service. I would say that we are always happy to re-cook clams that may not have opened, but if we were too busy to notice your cues for attention, that would not help.

Once again, sorry. We have to staff our restaurant for the usual level of business and when there are peaks and valleys in service, we are sometimes caught out.

Thanks for letting me know your experience, Kate

I can

Reviewed 25 April 2021

A superb dinner,highly recommended.We dine out regularly and would rate this meal as one of the best in recent years.

Reviewed 22 April 2021

I came in after watching a film at the embassy and was blown away by how attentive the staff were. We ordered the clams to start with and ended up asking for some bread as the sauce they were in was so tasty! We had the lambs liver and the beef for our mains and it was all cooked beautifully. We didn't have any room for dessert but our lovely Scottish waitress helped us pick out some digestifs. A fantastic dining experience, will definitely be back!

Reviewed 18 April 2021

We dined at Capitol with our two young kids. The staff took awesome care of us. Not a traditional family restaurant, but they were happy to adapt their beautiful dishes to suit our kids. We had a delicious antipasto platter to start, then pork belly and market fish, and the kids had pasta. It was all so tasty!