“First table experience”

Price range: US$14 - US$27
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2017

First table has given us the opportunity to try new restaurants, and Rye was fabulous. Friendly service, complimentry popcorn on arrival, and fabulous food

Reviewed 23 August 2017

We stopped in for a late afternoon meal, I had never heard of Rye. The genre is obviously American and specializes in meat.
I liked the layout of the restaurant and the staff were very friendly.
If you like meat, you will love this place. We had the meat platter, which had brisket, pulled pork, short ribs and Texas sausage, oh and slaw and pickled veges with curly fries. We loved the tastes and the meats were cooked to perfection.
It was a little pricey but all in all really good.

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I were excited to discover that there was an American restaurant here in town and we decided to have a date night and visit this place that we have heard so much about.

As we entered the restaurant we were greeted by a very friendly young man whose demeanor was very warm and friendly. As we sat down we looked around and found that the establishment was clean but lacked the American vibe.

We ordered the basket of fried chicken for starters and although it was a mains we figured we would take what ever was left home to consume during the game tonight. At $24. Dollars I pictured a full basket. But was shocked when three pieces arrived.

In all fairness the food was delicious and I couldn't really fault the portion size but I felt the food was quite pricey.

I had the burger and my wife had the eye fillet. My meal was tasty but again very pricey for what was presented. There was also something quite spicy about the steak which my wife struggled with.

In all fairness we would not return again. We found it too expensive and if an American vibe is what one is after, visit the lonestar restaurant down the road. The food is better and they have great staff .

josh f, Owner at Rye American Kitchen & Spirits, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Hello Allen W,

Thank for taking the time to review our restaurant. Firstly thank you for your food review for the meals as being Delicious and that you couldn't fault the Portion size. We pride ourselves on delivering the most delicious food with good portion sizes. Thank you for these kind remarks.
Your comments on the "American vibe" I feel are a little unfair. Yes we are different from Lone Star, they are based off a Wild West theme very similar to the OutBack Steak house in the USA. Our Brand is actually Rye - Bar and Grill, with components of the menu being from the smoker, grill and other conventional cooking techniques. The American theme is based loosely around the fact that we have a great selection of smoked and grilled menu items.
Before I reply to your comments based on Lone Star prices, I have to say that I hesitate to talk negatively about any fellow restaurants out of respect for what they do. However in this case I feel I need to point out that across the board our meals are more competitively priced.
If you look at our menus side by side you will clearly see that we have a large number of main meals that are well below the $30 mark. Considering that we have premium products and ingredients I feel that you couldn't be more wrong on this particular subject.

Again thank you for your review and giving us the chance to clarify your comments. We always strive to get repeat customers and feel we ticked all the necessary boxes in your case. We do hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

Service is outstanding, they are a lovely bunch of people and their cocktails are dangerously good.

It's got big pics of a cow and a pig on the walls with explanations of where the cuts of meat come from.
(Not really designed for the veggie diner).
Nevertheless, you used to be able to get a good vegetarian option here, and that is no longer possible... the worst thing is they got rid of the jalapeño poppers! (Who else does poppers?) - a foolish move from a foolish marketeer who failed their research paper!

If you want an animal killed for you, this is the place, wonderful steak, they'll even point out where it came from.

josh f, Owner at Rye American Kitchen & Spirits, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2017

Thanks for the great feedback on our cocktails and service!!
Your correct in assuming that our restaurant wasn't designed as a vegetarian restaurant, but by calling it a Grill and having the butchers cuts on the wall we don't hide that fact.
However, we still have 6 great veggie options available just not the jalapeno poppers you love but our other restaurant The Barrio Brothers does so I suggest you go there.
I believe everyone is entitled to make their own dietary choices I just don't think it is fair to be called foolish or use a misleading statement in your title intended to make yourself feel like your doing your part against the evil meat eaters.
I'm assuming you are an intelligent, conscious consumer who more than likely likes to support local businesses. Well, we are a local business, employing locals, donating thousands of dollars a year to local causes, we compost our waste food and recycle and use sustainable meats where possible. So thanks for leaving us a poor review just on the basis we don't line up with your opinions.
Kind Regards,
Josh

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We had to wait for a table for a wee while. There was group seating remaining but nothing for two. However, once we were seated we were offered drinks and asked for our order. Upon asking about their many gluten free options there was plenty of choice and I was assured about any cross contamination issues. The food (aside from one entree) was deliciously simple. A couple of slight hiccups with orders but staff were kindly obliging. We will be returning, for sure.