“Looks the part But....”

Phil's Place
Ranked #49 of 382 Restaurants in Tauranga
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, European, New Zealand, Soups
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open 7 days a week from 11.30 Am and serving food all day. We are located right on the waters edge at the Tauranga Bridge Marina. Large menus to suit all ages and we do have children"s portions available. Friendly staff in a wonderful ambiance. Delicious food and affordable prices.No surcharge on public holidays. Closed Christmas Day , 26th and 27th December.
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looks the part But....”
Reviewed 11 April 2017

Phil's place sits on the edge of the marina looking towards the sunset and on the night we went to celebrate our wedding anniversary it was a stunning evening, the restaurant is lovely, and the service is reasonable/good/average.
Mains run at about $36 -$39 so it is slightly higher end, so I expected very good meals, hence my disappointment with my steak meal. Compared with what it should have been, I would rate it a 4 out of 10. I asked for a medium well done steak which to my experience means, pink but not bloody on the inside. My steak was so well done on one edge I could barely cut it while on the other edge was rare. I didn't make an issue, because it would have spoiled my beautiful wife's evening

1 Thank RussRascal

“Could have been in Port Douglas!”
Reviewed 10 April 2017

Stunning sunny day, sat overlooking water, friendly prompt service without being IN YOUR FACE!
Both meals ceviche and prawn salad superb, could have been in one of our favourite holiday places with ambience, weather and such fresh light food.
Easy parking too, and setting puts you in holiday mood!

• Visited April 2017
“Always a rockin time out!”
Reviewed 6 April 2017

Love this place so much. Great tunes are always playing in the background with amazing food served every time. The atmosphere is relaxing and the staff are always welcoming. My family and I always keep coming back as we know we will always have a great night out.

JoatPhilsPlace, Manager at Phil's Place, responded to this review, 7 April 2017
Thank you for your lovely comments.
Wellington, New Zealand
“A very nice place to have an evening meal with a pleasent outlook”
Reviewed 5 April 2017

There is ample parking and the venue and menu are great. Service was personal and efficient. There is also a good wine list but beer selection was mainly bottles. bookings are optional but because it is popular one should.

• Visited March 2017
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Standards have slipped”
Reviewed 4 April 2017

There is no better place to dine on the waterfront for fabulous views of the water and the iconic Mt Maunganui, however our last 3 visits to this beautiful restaurant have not been nearly as good as we have experienced in the past few years, we have found that the food seems to take longer on each visit and that the current front of house team seem bored and have little product knowledge on food and wine,on our last trip we found that our waitress seemed more interested in talking with the chef's and other female waitress in the bar than looking after us, which is a great shame as we have come to expect such high service standards here but this is the second time we have been left wanting more, also it would be nice to have cleaner glassware to drink out of, we really hope that Phil's place picks its standards back up and starts to put customer service ahead of it's staff social time. Our food was pleasant, though we felt that the fish was slightly overcooked and that the accompaniments served along side were just mis-matched. The food was still full of flavor and enjoyable but the prices seem to have climbed somewhat.
Good luck moving forward to this local business.
I am not normally keen to write online reviews but I as we were not asked how our meals were I felt that complaining to the staff would have been a pointless exercise.

Visited March 2017
JoatPhilsPlace, Manager at Phil's Place, responded to this review, 6 April 2017
Sorry to hear that your visit wasnt up to standard. Some of our staff we employed over summer have now moved on and I apologise for any slack service. Our prices havent increased in 2 years . As far as checking meals we dont come over and bother your table and assume you are enjoying everything unless are otherwise told. We do appreciate your comments and will take note of them.
Thanking you