“Best way to introduce your self with Indian Cuisine”

Malabar Restaurant (Indian & Nepalese cuisine)
Ranked #1 of 151 Restaurants in Taupo
Price range: US$6 - US$31
Cuisines: Indian, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At The Malabar we bring to you the fine art of balancing taste, flavor and aroma. We capture the essence of traditional Indian & Nepalese cuisine and present it with contemporary flair. The result is a menu that’s authentic as well as innovative. We offer a blend of culturally rich cuisine of the Indian peninsula and the freshest New Zealand produce – prepared by our award -winning chef with a touch of his own alchemy.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I have lived in India for almost 25 years. After coming to New Zealand, I was struggling to get good Indian food. Some of Auckland’s well-known “Indian” food places couldn’t impress me but recently I was in Taupo and found this amazing place. Oh my god!! My taste buds were high (you know what I mean, eh!!) after having an amazing lunch. The person who was taking our order was very kind and honest. He provided us with an outstanding service. If you want to taste something mind-blowing then ask him for the recommendation. He recommended us Himalayan chicken and it was one of the best I have ever eaten. If you are in Taupo and want to try something refreshing, this is the place.

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

Can't compare with any other restaurants in NZ. I am a foodie and I can only say that the food and service here are up to the best.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

From the outside, this restaurant has no pretense and one may pas by without noticing the menu and its originality. We went because I read the reviews in Trip Advisor and they are generally reliable. I checked the vegetarian offer in the online menu and it read...yummy. Well, it was yummy! All the vegetarian entrees are superb...Kuchumber Pakoda particularly crispy with a slightly lemony zest. Papadam and Naan bread ... the best I have ever tasted: thin, crispy, not greasy, melts in your mouth. Try it with the mango chutney and the mint sauce. Kashmiri rice with almonds and apricots and herbs is amazing. Fragrant...smells like the silk road. Similar to Afghan rice, but the Afghan has raisins, which are sticky and too sweet, whilst almonds and apricots make it the perfect blend. Try Kashmiri rice with the Dal Jhaneko, yellow lentils Nepalese style. An excellent combination. Definitely a great restaurant. My comment was: I had to come to New Zealand to eat extraordinary Indian food!!!!!!! Enjoy Taupo...and do not forget to de-stress yourself in the amazing Taupo DeBrett thermal pools...soo good.

Reviewed 3 October 2018

We had a wonderful tasty meal at this restaurant on Tuesday night. Excellent shrimp, calamari and lamb dishes with some of the best naan I tried. Nice wine selection. Don't forget the chicken soup to finish the meal on a cool evening

Reviewed 1 October 2018

The family went there because of Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. We haven't tried the other 97 restaurants in Taupo but we were not surprised that Malabar is No. 1. Unpretentious, relying on friendly well-informed staff and excellent food to show their merit. We shared a selection from their very large menu and weren't disappointed in anything. The highlight was the chef's special prawns, some in sauce and some not. Added delight was Hairy Hop, Lakeman Brewing's trophy-winning strong pale ale, worth seeking out.